bright blue error screen

By Tammyd
Oct 3, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all!

New here and hope to get some help. I have a Compaq laptop that is about 2 years old. My problem is that when i turn on the computer i get the screen that ask which mode i want to start it in. If I select "normal" I get this blue screen that comes up real quick then goes away before I can read it..then it shuts down the computer and restarts it.

The error is: "Unmountable_Boot_volume". I can't run safemode either. I have tried hitting f8 and nothing works there either. HELP!!!! I thought I was pretty good with computers,but after reading some of you all in here...my knowledge seems to be very basic....Thanks so much.

I have Windows XP
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

your hard drive is either unseated, gone bad, or a connection is bad. Reseat the HD and ensure it has a good connection.

If the HD has failed, you will need to replace it, reformat, and load your software back on it.
  3. Tammyd

Tammyd Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you Tedster for your reply!!! I did the reseat to the hard drive and I am still getting the Blue screen. Do you think if I replaced the hard drive that would work? I hate to spend alot of money to have someone diagnose the problem since I have already spent tons of money getting it fixed for battery connection problems.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.