Britflix aims to be the British version of Netflix

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has received the green light from its local government to develop a subscription streaming service that’ll serve as a rival to American web giants Amazon and Netflix.

A source familiar with the matter told The Telegraph that the BBC will be working with ITV, its main commercial rival, on the project. Several production companies are also said to be involved including NBCUniversal which is the parent company of Carnival Films, perhaps best known for Downton Abbey.

Britflix, the working title for the service, will reportedly feature archived content from British broadcasters as well as its own original series a la House of Cards and Transparent. The BBC was quick to point out the fact that existing shows wouldn’t be disappearing behind a paywall.

Secretary of State for Culture John Whittingdale said we’re moving into a different world where more and more content is going to be made available on demand. He added that there may come a moment in the future where all television is delivered online and they think collaboration with other broadcasters and other production companies is important.

Project Kangaroo, a similar collaboration between British broadcasters, was blocked by regulators in 2009 over concerns that it would negatively harm competition. In hindsight, however, the decision opened the door for American companies to establish a firm foothold in the online streaming market.

Permalink to story.

Damn, guess I have to keep waiting for a service that has decent catalog compared to price.Was really hoping the Brits wanted my money but guess I'll keep steaming for free. Netlix ain't an option, I won't be paying the same as people in the US if I get under 1/3 third of the content. Either give more content or drop the price to 1/3 also. Would have no problem paying for good service, even had netlix but watched all that interested me. They blocked vpn too, they really make it hard for me to pay them.

Well if it's BBC, then expect to see social engineering in the form of tailored and controlled media content .. Welcome to the new world of Cultural Marxism..

Ffs, stop that kind of thinking! and make netflix world wide, as planned! and plz before 2017...

Back