British maker Colin Furze builds fully functional hoverbike

Shawn Knight

Staff member

You may remember maker Colin Furze as the guy that created a real-life (and fully functional) Assassin’s Creed rope launcher or homemade Magneto shoes. The zany Brit was recently sponsored by Ford (go figure) to create a functional, homemade hoverbike.

Faced with the possibility of letting the entire Internet down (ok, not really), the plumber's first-ever attempt at making something that leaves the ground was a success. Sure, it doesn’t have steering, brakes or even a seat and it looks incredibly dangerous but it does fly (sort of) and apparently that’s all that matters.

As you’ll see, Furze took things a step further by adding what I can only assume is a Saturn Missile Battery to the front of the craft. With the help of some neon (UV?) lighting at night, you’ve got something that looks like its straight out of a video game or sci-fi movie.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Well I guess since he's a plumber the term "functional" can be used very, very loosely. Of course it wouldn't have taken too much extra effort to put a speed control and coordinate it with both motors .... but of course that would be beyond the basic plumbing concept ......

It's a nice rough model of what can be done. With a bigger engine\blades. Some controls to shift the blades, he could have full control and a steady uplift. Add in some chicken wire type mesh for safety. At least on the top. And some bars or a landing mechanism on the bottom so you dont break the blades.

I really don't get why that guy is popular. it's not like he's building anything new or even complicated. all you need is the money. the reason why people don't make them is because they are a waste of money.

I really don't get why that guy is popular. it's not like he's building anything new or even complicated. all you need is the money. the reason why people don't make them is because they are a waste of money.

People shoot iPhones with guns on Youtube and you are complaining about this?

Back