Brix Mini PC Review: Gigabyte's Take On Small Form Factor Computing

Jos

Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/698-gigabyte-brix/]https://www.techspot.com/review/698-gigabyte-brix/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

How is these hardware systems being tested? Are you started off with clean registry, system and sub-system data files systems. Everything should be scrubbed down clean.

Memory
VRM (Page File)
Full System Optimized HDD Defrag
An etc.

Then test each system against each other. Just takes one issue somewhere to through off the results.

This box here in this subject see I won't buy anything like this going to be very limited and to me what ACER Revo

RL70-UR308
$329.99
Windows 8 - 64-bit version - AMD E-Series E-450 processor (1.65GHz) - 2GB DDR3 memory - 500GB hard drive - AMD Radeon HD 6300 graphics - AMD A45 Fusion chipset - HD audio - DolbyHome Theater v4 - wireless keyboard and mouse - Wi-Fi - Bluetooth4.0 - HDMI- card reader - 1-year limited warranty

RL80-UR32
$379.99
Windows 8 - 64-bit version - IntelCeleron1017U processor (1.6GHz) - 4GB DDR3 memory - 500GB hard drive - IntelHD Graphics - IntelHM70 Express chipset - high-definition audio - Wi-Fi - Bluetooth- HDMI- DVI - USB 3.0 - card reader - wireless keyboard & mouse - 1-year limited warranty

RL80-UR22
$449.99
Windows 8 - 64-bit version - IntelCore i3-3227U processor (1.9GHz) - 4GB DDR3 memory - 500GB hard drive - IntelHD Graphics - IntelHM77 Express chipset - high-definition audio - Wi-Fi - Bluetooth- HDMI- DVI - USB 3.0 - card reader - wireless keyboard & mouse - 1-year limited warranty

These options, but in all any laptop 15.6-inch with 8GB DDR3 i3 or higher process 320GB, 500GB, 750GB or 1TB everything else can do the trick if you have the right Wireless gear connect to it. For MCE (Media Center Edition) or MCE Remote Control or Logitech Wave Pro System.

I'm confused are you questioning the accuracy of the results? Or are you simply just telling us how we should setup a test system for the hell of it?

Those Acer systems are considerably larger than the BRIX so not really a fair comparison, if teeny-tiny size is what you are after. They also use mechanical drives but they are better priced given you get a keyboard and mouse as well.

No confusion is intended. Just saying from experience in this field how are these devices setup and tested. Everyone tends to forget how Windows OS, Android OS and etc need some sort of system file and registry cleaning. I would test this way first just to make sure all system are running at their peak performance.

As for CPU, NPU, MPU, GPU sure they're rated speed not much you can do except OC (over clock them but not worth it today) Test results should be just prep before performing them.

As you know test results can vary and that's why in a lab or Model Office (this is use to test out software, hardware) I've been involved in these type of testing. Another one is UAT (user acceptance testing) where they come in test the installation of software and hardware so it will be what is expected to run as. Like a final check before anything is release into companies or corp environments.

Unless I'm mistaken, build one yourself for cheaper? Though I think this is geared toward folks who'd rather not deal with building one.

Problem to make it cheaper and if you got a brand new laptop for $249 with HDMI output i3 core, max RAM DDR3 8MB for that price you can upgrade the HDD to TB or get SSD laptop kit if you like SSD. I just did this run Windows Media Center 7 as my second DVR in my Living ROOM connected to HDTV set. Along with this setup is WD Passport 500 GB or 1TB for recording storage. Got another latpop in the MBR doing the same exact thing. Prices on laptops are cheap but you do need dual core at lease.

Quick note - the subtitle is wrong on the WinRAR 5.0 graph... should be "KB per Second" "(Higher is Better)"...

Anyway, thanks for the review... I'll have to pick one a few up for my family members who still are using Pentium 4 based systems.

I use a Zotac based NUC. I believe it has a Celeron dual-core processor. It runs fantastic as an HTPC box. It even included a great remote control that works with my all the apps I've thrown at it.

Granted, I paid $150 for it with 60gig SSD, and 4GB ram slightly used. I plopped on a free license of Win8.1. For that price point, it was well worth it. I think I'd be willing (with the SSD & Ram) to go to $299ish. But no higher. The issue the NUC's are facing is that Intel still wants a very high premium for their chipsets. It's just like their desktop mainboards. They're stuck in "we're Intel, we're the premium brand" mode.

Back