TechSpot

Broadband internet through

By Santhanam
Sep 15, 2008
  1. Hi friends !

I have a Desktop with AMD 6200+ on ASUS motherborad running on windows XP SP3.

The device manager indicates an integrated "Texas Instruments OHCI compliant 1394 IEEE host controller" to be present.

I have used a connector from this 1394 port on the motherboard to two USB outlets using a suitable cable provided alongwith the motherboard.

Now, I have connected this using a "USB to Ethernet" connector to my wireless modem DSL 2640T.

(I received some driver CD-ROM alongwith this USB to Ethernet adopter !!)

I get the indications in the tray icon that 1394 is connected for a 400 Mbps connection. I disabled the existing networks and enabled only the 1394.

But I am not able to get the internet connection using the usual TCP/IP settings that I do with my regular LAN card, successfully.

When I tried to repair the connection, I get a message that "TCP/IP is not enabled. Cannot proceed".

hhhhhmmmmmmm.......

I go to the basic question now :

1. Can I connect for a broadband internet connection through 1394 at all ??

2. If possible, what are the settings and how I can successfully I set them since the speed through this connection is said to be 400 Mbps whereas the regular LAN one is only 100 Mbps ?

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

You are, like many others before you, getting your connections mixed up.

That 1394 is a firewire port for high speed communications with devices, NOT the internet.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/bridgman_02march25.mspx

To access your network adapter, you need to first install some drivers for it.

It would help if you identified make/model of comp or motherboard.

edit: and this is the Introduce yourself' area, not 'Tell us your problem'.

Post in the right area next time willya!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.