Broadband router problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people,

im pretty new to networking and im having problems with my router. I have a ST Lab Broadband router with 4 ports.

i want the broadband router to give internet access to four computers in the house.

the internet service provider has not yet installed a connection.

i have only connect the router to my computer. The router power is ON but i keep on getting a message saying "there is a unplugged cable".

Now is this because i dont have any internet access yet?? or is it becuase i have not networked the router to any other computer yet?? or am i getting this message becuase the router is not connected to my computer properly??? i dont know..i have installed it before and i think that i only connected it to my computer first and it was ok - no ambiguous msgs??

thanks people!

run the Network Setup and FoLlOw the instruction, select it the host computer with modem and router as to connect the internet and with network.

Lucan

P.S. look in Microsoft Help!

Hi
thanx for the reply mate but ive tried this and still the same.
it is setup as the following:

Modem is plugged into the router in port WAN
then there is a wire going from Port 1 to to the computer.
i still keep on getting a message saying "netwrok cable is unplugged"

However when i take out the modem cable and put it directly into the computer the internet is functioning perfectly!!

the ports on the Router are as follows:

Uplink
Port 1
Port 2
Port 3
Port 4
WAN
(Reset button)

i have not connected it to my other computer yet. should i be doing this.?
Also the router is not detecting that i have put the ethernet cable from computer to port 1??? the light is not switching on?

basically the computer tries to make a connection and say "AQUIRRING NETWORK ADDRESS" but then fails... and network unplugged is displayed.

thanks for all the help

Devil

Try connecting the computer with another cable. "cable unplugged" means exactly that - there is no connection between the computer and the other device. You either have a bad cable, a bad network card, a bad router port or wrong ethernet speed settings.

or maybe your using a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable and your router doesn't support autoswitching to be compatitble between the two.

Try a different port, I've had a port or 2 go bad on my routers before. By switching to port 2 or 3 worked fine. Also the wire could be bad as Nodsu and BillGates stated. What brand/model # router is it anyway?

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

i have tried the other ports, but they do not work. at the moment only Port 1 works.
the model for the router is: ST Lab - 4 port model no.: IPR-4P-BS-1

A friend of mine suggested that i may have to configure the router. Or obtain the router IP adress by going into IE and entering some numbers in the address bar? how do i do that?

anyways thanx for all the help guys

Devill ;)

Oh there is one small PUZZLE for you experts. it is totally beyond me!!!!!!

the router is connected like this:

Ethernet cable from PC to Uplink port in Router
Ethernet Cable from Router to Cable Modem

I only get the message "unplugged..." when the POWER ADAPTER is plugged in. If i take out the power (pull the plug out) then internet is working fine????????????????????(there is no power getting to the router? no lights are switched on, but its working??) and i get no error message but the connection icon says ""LOCAL AREA CONNECTION / CONNECTED,FIREWALLED"

If i keep the cursor above the icon then it says "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection"

reverse
Ethernet cable from PC to Uplink port in Router
Ethernet Cable from Router to Cable Modem​
to
Ethernet cable from PC to any of the 4 ports on Router
Ethernet Cable from Uplink port in Router to Cable Modem​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back