Broadcom announces 5G Wi-Fi 2x2 MIMO chip for smartphones

By Shawn Knight
Feb 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Broadcom recently announced a new mobile chip designed to make 802.11ac wireless networks even faster over mobile devices. The BCM4354 system-on-a-chip supports 2x2 MIMO (multiple input / multiple output) technology, Bluetooth 4.1 LE and an FM receiver and is 25...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I'd like them to release a 4X4 MIMO in case I ever have to go offroad. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the mud with mere 2X2 or 4X2 capability. :)
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

I have 802.11ac! Thanks to my Netgear R6300 and I upgraded the upstairs pc's with Asus 802.11ac PCI-E adaptors and each one is reporting around 1.1 - 1.2Gbps, which is pretty much as fast as the wireless goes on that router, the speed bump was noticed but what was noticed more was latency, it seems to be much better than 802.11n, ping times in games reduced and the signal is rock solid, never randomly disconnects or lags.

If the next iPhone has this, then I'll wait one more round (6s) and I'll upgrade :)
  4. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

5G huh? Why don't they now get rid of 2G. Else we'll have to have retro rockets to speed the world back up. Ever hear the elo song telephone line give me some time I'm living in twilight?