Broken Burner

By redandblackbaby
Mar 27, 2006
  1. hey again everyone. my pc has a built in burner yet recently for some reason when i open windows media players burner is says 'no cd or dvd burner detected'. well the pc has got one so i am really puzzled :dead:

what has happened/how do i fix this if i can

any help will be wonderful!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

It is possible that your burner is bad. However, there are a couple of things you can try.

Go into your device manager and right click on your burner, select uninstall and reboot your computer.

Windows should redetect it.

You could also try a different ide cable.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner TS Rookie Posts: 106

ya burner isnt broken, check the jumper settings, if you don't know what that means, look it up!
  4. redandblackbaby

redandblackbaby TS Rookie Topic Starter

right. i have got onto my device manager

H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device

this has a cross through its symbol. when i clcik it, it says that its diabled. i try and enable it and it simply says 'windows was not able to enable device'. what?!

do i uninstall this and then reboot?
  5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

It'd be a good idea to check that the data and power connectors are firmly installed in the back of the burner. Are you using a pci scsi card or is the scsi built into the motherboard and is it running any other scsi devices?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.