Broken RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about upgrading my RAM and in order to determin the sort of RAM my PC takes I opened it up and took the current RAM out to look at. When I put it back in the PC would not reboot. The power comes on and you can hear the fans working but I just get a blank screen and no sign of it booting. The RAM is back in the same slot it came out of and is fitted in properly.

I think I may have fried the RAM with static as I was wearing a fleece top and standing on a carpet? Does that sound likely? And if so will simply replacing the RAM with a new RAM chip and booting up, fix the poblem?

Thanks

Geoffrey

Fleece + Electronic Device = Disaster

You probably did fry your RAM. Just buy a new RAM chip. Make sure it is compatitble with your motherboard. If you're not sure what kind of memory you need, go to Crucial Memory and use their memory selector program. Next time you open your case, don't wear fleece and touch the power supply or another unpainted metal surface every few minutes to discharge the static electricity. Good Luck! :grinthumb

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You could try cleaning the ram contacts with an eraser and maybe trying a different ram slot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i would also invest in an anti-static strap...
Five bucks is alot cheaper than fried Ram...

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back