TechSpot

Browser pictures blurred - ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility

By gvaman
Aug 12, 2005
  1. I recently upgraded to the latest driver for my IBM T41 laptop's ATI Radeon 9000 video card to the latest version (specific IBM driver). Shortly after, all pictures loaded in my browser (IE 6 with all latest patches) appeared blurred/pixelized. Tried to change all sort of settings, revert to previous driver, reinstall, but nothing improved.

Then thought it may be a virus (have Symantec anti-virus & firewall) and did find a Trojan (fvp.dll) which I removed. The system was then clean, but still couldn't improve the situation. Tried installing Firefox, but same problem in that browser.

I don't think it's a video card issue however, as if I browse for pictures in the Windows Explorer, they display correctly. I can even do "Open with" - Internet Explorer on a file and the image displays correctly in IE (but when I do this, the system then becomes very slow/instable).

Any ideas - please help !!!

2. pkillur

pkillur TS Rookie

So to clarify, this is an IE problem with pictures, not a general graininess problem, right? A thought is to try and install the latest AOL browser beta because it flushes out a bunch of settings that IE6 makes. Or, you could just use Firefox and forget that IE exists....

[​IMG] http://www.uglyorangetruck.com

3. gvaman

gvaman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Not only an IE issue

Thank you PKillur for your reply, but in my posting I mentionned having already installed FireFox to avoid the known issues with IE.

The problem is exactly the same in Firefox. So either it's a registry setting or a Windows dll used by all browsers to decode pictures.

Any ideas ?

4. surf_St0ke

surf_St0ke TS Rookie

actually, I'm having the exact same problem and it is quite frustrating after I got my new computer. I searched in google "virus images blurred" and came across this post in this forum. I've also done the exact same things to try and fix the problem but no matter how many things I do the images always remain pixelated when I'm online. But for some reason it's not ALL pictures. Like the smilies on the side right now, those aren't blurred.
    I read in an article somewhere that your ISP might be making the files more compressed to save space or something? but the more you compress the files, they become blurred and fuzzy. I'm not exactly sure. My ISP is MSN. What is your's? I think if it's happening to us, it's happening to other people too and they need to fix whatever problem this is soon.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.