Browser problem: won't connect to Facebook

I am having trouble resolving an issue and am hoping SOMEONE can help...I can connect to any website on the web EXCEPT FB. I am currently running Windows 7 and have AVG installed. My internet is through a Verizon Jetpack.

I have tried changing the proxy settings; have tried using Chrome, FireFox, and IE. Chrome is the default browser though. I did find a thread where someone suggested changing the hosts file under windows/system32/drivers/etc. Facebook was not found in this file.

I spent all day running virus checkers, chkdsk, etc. My laptop is clean from everything and has been optimized and defragged. Any & all suggestions would be most appreciated - I am beyond frustrated at this point.

If this is being attempted from a business connection, I would expect FB to be blocked

This is on my personal laptop - and FB has not been blocked.

jobeard means your internet connection, but since you said Verison Jetpack...I assume its like a USB mobile modem?

In any case, try the same internet connection with another device and see if it does the same thing.

I am not sure what could be the issue with the limited amount of information, but can you try inputting the following addresses for your DNS?

After inputting them, try another webpage again.

I assume your does not have parental settings or any type of internet/content filtering software.

Hope this helps...

Hi , There are a few things that I would be trying.
Check the 'Hosts' file for the FB I.p. (but you've done that.)
Scan your pc with Malwarebytes free edition.
Check that you are using https://www.facebook.com and not http://www.facebook.com
Prove where the problem is, e.g. your ISP, or your router's firewall/filter, or your pc.
If you can use another pc with your Verizon Jetpack ( I don't know this hardware, USB or wireless modem I guess) then it will prove if the problem is your pc, or outside of it, therefore router firewall/filter or your ISP.
Also, you are one of many who are reporting the same problem.

Back