Browser problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SassyGirl

Hello

I wonder if someone could help, i use Avant browser, i just wondered if there was a way i could disable Internet explorer so i could use Avant.

Thank you

Helen

You can't really disable IE and continue to use Avant, since Avant isn't a stand alone browser so to speak. It uses IE's browser, just looks different, and adds some features.
You can make Avant the default browser though, I'm not familiar with Avant, but every "commercial" browser I've ever seen is always happy to become the OSes default browser. Its probably under a tools, or options, or preferences, or edit menu. And it will likely be a checkbox saying something to the effect of make default browser.

It would be 'healthier' for your PC if you install Firefox from www.getfirefox.com

It does all the tabbed browsing that Avant has, does NOT use ActiveX (main source of computer-infection, part of IE), has built-in popup-stopper, and is generally faster and safer than IE/Avant.
Use IE only for Windows-updates.

I don't know about ActiveX, but I stopped using IE, after I found 'Maxthon' for free online.

It has 'tabbed' feature (many websites in one browser), the buttons are fully adjustable, a 'floating ad' stopper, and has been very stable for me. Been using for about a year.

It's available at: http://www.maxthon.com/en/

I have used Maxthon, and liked it very well, but it is based on IE. I use Firefox now, but another very good browser is Opera, you might want to give it a try. There is a free version, with adds, or a paid version with no ads. It offers tabbed browsing and mouse gestures, which is indespensible to me.

Edit: Or you might try the latest Beta version of Opera, which I'm about to try now.

Maxthon is just the new name for MyIE2 (which Olefarte somehow got me to use at one point... :knock: ). They decided to leave out the IE part when IE was getting a lo of bad press for Virus & Spyware.

Didou said:
Maxthon is just the new name for MyIE2 (which Olefarte somehow got me to use at one point... :knock: ).
Now now Didou, don't go off the deep end on me. YOU should know better than to listen to :angel:me. HehHeh.

Yeah, Maxthon used to be called 'MyIE2'. I've never tried 'Opera' because of the cost..and I've never tried FireFox, either. Maybe worth a shot if I ever start having problems with Maxthon.

All I know, is that when I used IExplorer, my browser home page would always get Hijacked, and pop-ups all over the place, but that all went away with

There is nothing wrong with the free version of Opera. There is just a little banner ad at the top of the page. It's definately not that distracting. I would suggest giving it a shot. I certainly love it.

I don't like the default appearance of Opera, but with about 30 seconds of playing with it, it looks fine.
Here are my suggested modifications:
1. Add rewind back foward next reload and home to the bar right underneath the file edit view ext line.
2. Remove all of the things to the left of where you type in the address bar. (basically you are moving them up to the top like in IE).
3. Reduce the icon size to 40%.

I think thats all I do but there might be another bar in there I completely remove. Basically going from top to bottom its 'menu bar', 'the bar with rewind back forward next reload home', 'the bar with tabs', 'address bar', web page.

Oh and one other thing, I think Opera 7.54 allows popups by default. To change that go to Tools -> Quick Preferences -> Block unwanted popups.

I'm using the Opera 8 beta now, so I have kind forgotton a bit on how to get Opera 7.54 looking good.

btw- the beta has been rock solid for me, and also lets you use gmail, unlike 7.54.

I'm giving Opera 8.0 a try also. I'm having problems with Gmail and HotMail. In Gmail, when I read a message, I can't click "back", and go back to the inbox, it just sits there saying "loading", and nothing happens. In HotMail, I can't delete junkmail.

Other than that, I like it.

wow,,,I just loaded Opera 8 beta...

I have Maxthon running at the same time....I went into Task Manager to look at memory usage, and opened the same windows in both....

Maxthon runs at: 28,000 K

Opera 8 at: 22,000 K

so fa, so good..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back