Browser Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimTimFed

Hey, hope someone could help out.

Whenever i boot up my computer i only have about 5 - 7 minutes to use my internet browser. Any time after those initial few minutes of my computer having booted, my browsers will not connect to any website. Programs such as Windows Live Messenger and Steam still connect but my browsers simply won't. I've tried a whole bunch of browsers, IE7, Firefox, Netscape and Opera and they all have the same problem. The only way i can access the net via a browser for an extended period of time is to reboot the computer every five minutes, hardly worth it.

I hope this hasn't been posted before, as i couldn't find one. Any help would be really appreciated, i need to use the net for my job so i'm in desperate need of recovery.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

That`s a strange problem I`ve not heard of before.

Let`s check for malware.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Your HJT log is clean. However, that doesn`t necessarily mean your system is free from malware.

Go and read this thread HERE and follow the instructions in step2, step6, step12, and step14 for AVG Antispyware.

Post the Combofix and AVG Antispyware logs.

Regards Howard :)

Your system is infected with malware. I have therefore moved your thread to our Security and the Web forum.

All items in your AVG Antispyware log say "No Action Taken". That`s because you haven`t told AVG Antispyware to quarantine it`s results as per the instructions. See this pictorial guide.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop. The Avenger script is attached to the bottom of this post.

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply, as well as fresh HJT, Combofix and AVG Antispyware logs.

This thread is for the use of TimTimFed only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Well done, your logfiles are clean.

I suggest you install antivirus and firewall software asap.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

This thread is for the use of TimTimFed only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Problem

Hi There.
I am very appreciative of all the work that has been done to help me so far and I genuinely am very thankful, however the initial problem of browser connectivity is still exactly the same as it was. I was wondering if anybody has any sort of ideas or information on something that could be done to get my browser to connect to the net for a decent length again.
Thanks.

New Error

Hey, sorry to bother.
I tried running the windows repair function but i'm having an error. It gets to the first bit before i get a screen reading something along the lines of 'Setup can not detect any hard disk drives attached to this computer".
I do have a hard disk drive installed a Seagate Barracuda.
Not sure what to do with it and really hope that this repair will fix my problem.

Any assistance would be great.
Thanks.

Hi,

I noticed that your connection problem occurs only with browsers. It is possible that your previous infection had corrupted/damaged them in some way or other. Have you tried re-installing them?

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of TimTimFed only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Yes, i have tried reinstalling them and it hasn't helped. I also installed several new browsers and they also didn't work.

Edited by Moderator: No need for a double post if there are no replies between your current post and the last post, unless bumping the thread. In that case, please wait at least 24 hours before doing so. Otherwise, simply use the "Edit post" button instead.

Oh and yes;

I do have a router...

Last time I had a similar problem happen was when I had a power outtage in my area. I needed to reset/reboot the router, modem and computer. I also had to make some changes to LocalAreaConnection......I don't remember exactly at the moment what they were (I'm not on my home computer at the moment).....it might have been changing from a dynamic ip address to a static ip address. then internet worked fine and I was able to change it back.

I presume your browsers are all set on the default settings required for them to run? proxy/no proxy etc.

Since you have exhausted most possiblities, I can only suggest a repair.

But do try out eroz's suggestion first.

For information on how to repair your Windows XP/2000 system files, please see HERE.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of TimTimeFed only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Tried Erzo's suggestion and unfortunately it didn't help.

I do believe that a windows repair would fix it, however whenever i try to do it i just get an error message saying 'Setup did not detect any hard disk drives connceted to your pc' or something along those lines. I know that to make this work i need to put some drivers on a floppy disk and get setup to load those at the initial stage of the repair. I can't, however, find these drivers. They didn't come on my motherboard's CD and i can't find htem on the net. Any assistance in finding these drivers would be awesome.
I think with these drivers i could finally beat this problem.

Hi,

Have you read the later posts in this thread? I'm not an authority on hardware matters, but looks to me it contains the information to help you solve your problem.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of TimTimFed only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks for the reply.
I've read the thread but can't seem to find a solution to my problem, most of the time they seem to deal with dell problems and i can't find a solution that works for me there.

Well,

I'm not much of a hardware expert. Perhaps you could try posting your query there, with a link back to this topic and clearly detail your problems and what problems you need help with. I'm sure our forum gurus and other experts will be able to come up with a solution for you.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Thank You

Well, I've fixed the problem.

In the end it was by complete coincidence that what I did solved the issue, but i thought I'd post how I did it in case someone else had the same problem.

In the end, all i did was reinstall my chipset drivers and everything worked fine - ultimately an almost ridiculously easy fix.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their time and support, TechSpot truly is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone;

Thanks a lot;
TimTimFed

Hi There again.
Sorry to reopen this thread however the problem has happened to me again. The exact same problem is happening, and i've tried everything that i did last time yet it has not fixed. I'm completely stumped and this problem is a massive inconvenience. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back