BSOD 0x0000007E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've searched around the site but can't seem to find my specific issue.

Here's some background: The other day I go to start up my laptop like every day, and I get the error that hal.dll is missing or corrupted. I go into XP recovery, overwrite hal.dll and reboot. Then it tells me it doesn't match with another file, ktnostl.exe or something along those lines. I overwrite that, then it gives me a kernel loading error.

I then decide to do a repair/reinstallation of XP Pro. That chugs along fine until it starts installing devices, then a warning box pops up saying Windows cannot verify logo testing for my 8800M GTX, and it strongly recommends I do not install the software for that. Yes to continue installing anyway, No to cancel. I hit Yes.

Right afterward, BSOD, 0x0000007E, says something about usbhub.sys, though no peripherals are hooked up, I was using built-in keyboard and touch pad. I reboot, go back, hit No when the video card warning box popped up again. Same BSOD right after.

I tried making new Boot.inis, but when the computer moves along, it tries to go back to the new installation of XP, and the same error comes up.

I went into Recovery again and tried disabling the video card driver (I think it was the right one, using listsvc) called NVsvc NVIDIA display adapter, or something along thoses lines. I tell it to disable. I reboot, it goes back to enabled, says the only valid ones are startup_auto startup_boot startup_demand, etc. but nothing about being able to disable it.

So that's where I am. Every time I try to reinstall XP, it gets to the same spot, and then BSOD. The only option I can think of is reformatting and losing everything, but I'd like to save my stuff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can offer more in-dept info when I get off work.

Here is a recommendation from Microsoft. I would run chkdsk /r as discussed under the heading for Problem 2.

From your description, it is not clear if there is a second copy of XP or if it is usable. Following the steps for Problem 3 (fixboot) after completing the chkdsk will refresh the boot files. None of this validates the integrity if the XP load. However, it may address the kernal loading error.

I suggest attempting safe mode to determine where you are most stable. This should use "default" video drivers.

Now a bit a negativity - fixboot & fixmbr confuse the he!! out of me. For me it has been 50/50 - worked once, messed the other. You are far beyond me when playing with services.

Thanks for the reply.

Chkdsk didn't find anything wrong.

What I'm going to do now is buy a hard disk enclosure, hook up the hard drive to another pc and save some files. Then time to reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back