BSOD: 0x0000008e etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islesfan079

As of late I've been receiving a ton of BSODs on my stock Dell Dimension 4600. Started off about 10 days ago, and it happened once or twice. Now, after attempting a number of different fixes, it gives me a blue screen about 3-4 minutes after I boot up.

No new hardware or anything to speak of.

0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xF(various endings), 0x00000000)

No files identified, I have a ton and a half of minidumps, so I'm attaching a few.

Thanks,

George.

All your Minidumps point to the same thing: NDIS.sys with error code 0x8E which can take you down several roads.

It also has this worded designation:

KERNEL_MODE_EXCETION_NOT_HANDLED_M

I searched for some time, but I couldn't quite get a handle, but one thing kept coming around was video drivers. So after re-reading your Minidumps a few times I noticed NVUninst.exe in the information and googled it.

This is an NVidia driver; yours is probably corrupt. Change out drivers and see what happens.

All thre Minidumps point to NDIS.sys which is the same as before.

It is possible that your Network Card Driver (NIC) is the culprit.

Can you give us your computer specs, i.e., video and sound cards, motherboard, RAM, etc.? Have you updated your chipset drivers and BIOS?

OK... I let this topic die because my computer seemed to be functioning properly. Now it's back to BSODs every 10 minutes. Same crap, only now I also got a few blue screens that specifically referenced NDIS.sys. My system is a stock Dell Dimension 4600 with a 2.4Ghz P4, 512 MB RAM (Ran memtest, its fine), Windows XP SP1 (Trying to download 2, but my computer freezes inevitably every time I do)

I tried disabling the NIC and it didn't make a difference, except now I was ONLY getting 0x8e errors, no longer IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (which referenced NDIS.sys in the stop screen).

-- George.

Is this still under warrenty? because if it is I'd be contacting Dell pronto armed with the knowledge that a) your minidumps have been read and point to this driver, b) the blue screens point to this driver and therefore c) what are they going to do about it? I'll bet you their forums - if they have any - have plenty on this issue. Google it and I bet there is a lot on this NIC card and BSOD's.

It could be a plain old bad NIC card. Keep us up to date. You shouldn't have to going through this.

Route44 said:
Is this still under warrenty? because if it is I'd be contacting Dell pronto armed with the knowledge that a) your minidumps have been read and point to this driver, b) the blue screens point to this driver and therefore c) what are they going to do about it? I'll bet you their forums - if they have any - have plenty on this issue. Google it and I bet there is a lot on this NIC card and BSOD's.

It could be a plain old bad NIC card. Keep us up to date. You shouldn't have to going through this.

This is way out of warranty. Bought it in 2003. I disabled NIC and still had the same issue.

-- George.

OK. I tried something, I used BartPE (a premade environment, in other words an OS bootable from CD), and I removed NDIS.sys from the c:/windows/system32/drivers directory. I still have it, obviously, but upon removing it, my computer was stable, but no TCP/IP protocol or any form of network access. I tried re-installing my NIC drivers, but that did not bring back the file. Then I copied the same NDIS.sys file from another computer (the one I'm posting from). As soon as I re-installed the drivers after putting in the new NDIS.sys file, my computer went into a BSOD. My guess is that its my NIC card thats crapped out. Problem is, the card is integrated into the motherboard, not a separate ethernet (10/100) card. If I put in a new ethernet card, and disable the integrated NIC, would that overwrite the settings on NDIS? Or am I stuck having to replace ANOTHER motherboard?

-- George.

Islesfan079 said:
OK. I tried something, I used BartPE (a premade environment, in other words an OS bootable from CD), and I removed NDIS.sys from the c:/windows/system32/drivers directory. I still have it, obviously, but upon removing it, my computer was stable, but no TCP/IP protocol or any form of network access. I tried re-installing my NIC drivers, but that did not bring back the file. Then I copied the same NDIS.sys file from another computer (the one I'm posting from). As soon as I re-installed the drivers after putting in the new NDIS.sys file, my computer went into a BSOD. My guess is that its my NIC card thats crapped out. Problem is, the card is integrated into the motherboard, not a separate ethernet (10/100) card. If I put in a new ethernet card, and disable the integrated NIC, would that overwrite the settings on NDIS? Or am I stuck having to replace ANOTHER motherboard?

-- George.

If you have a slot for an ethernet card and you can disable the current one in the BIOS I doubt there will be conflict. It would be much like my current motherboard that has onboard sound that I disabled in order to utilize my M-Audio sound card. LOet me know how it works out.

mc6415 said:
same problem loads of BSODs heres my minidumos can anyone look through them for me?

much appreciated

Your dump specifically points to vtdisp.dll which is a video graphics driver for your onboard video VIA/S3G. You need to go to your computer manufacturers online site and see if they either have a patch or a video update for this chipset.

Route44 said:
If you have a slot for an ethernet card and you can disable the current one in the BIOS I doubt there will be conflict. It would be much like my current motherboard that has onboard sound that I disabled in order to utilize my M-Audio sound card. LOet me know how it works out.

I installed a new ethernet card, installed the drivers, and I'm getting a problem in Hardware Profiles. Says my driver is missing or corrupt. If I put NDIS.sys back in, and then re-enable my new card, I get an instant blue screen. What the **** is NDIS.sys? Im getting seriously pissed off.

Upon startup, I get a message that TCP/IP is not installed if NDIS.sys isn't in place. Could it be that the TCP/IP as it is is corrupt and I need to reinstall it? If so, how would I go about doing that?

-- George.

The process NDIS 5.1 wrapper driver belongs to the Microsoft Windows Operating System.

Description: File NDIS.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 182912 bytes (94% of all occurrence), 167552 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The file is a Windows core system file. The program is not visible. It is a Microsoft signed file. The service has no detailed description. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

This is a common problem experienced by many people. Just Google NDIS.sys and you'll see what I mean. For some it is onboard sound such as Realtech, others it is IRQL conflicts, and for still others such as yourself the NIC card.

One person worked around it by uninstalling the Windows driver and downloaded the manufacturer's driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back