BSOD 0x0000008E randomly appears

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Resolved] BSOD 0x0000008E randomly appears

Hi,

My operation system (XP SP2) seems to have a new habit of crashing and showing me that same BSOD with error 0x0000008E.

Microsoft's site doesn't seem to help much, as they just consult me to upgrade to SP2, which I've already got.

Latest minidump is attached.

Can anyone give a clue for what the problem can be?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Mini102907-01.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 6
Similar Problem

I am very new to this so I hope I am providing all of the correct information:

My computer keeps getting stuck in blue screen. I have rebooted dozens of times in both safe mode and normal XP. This past time I actually managed to resume using windows. I read an old post which instructed me to look at my error log....here it is

BCCode : f4 BCP1 : 00000003 BCP2 : 82CE0DA0 BCP3 : 82CE0F14
BCP4 : 805FA160 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what this means. I have not installed any new programs, drivers, etc. I looked at my program list to see what had been installed over the past few days...all that was listed was mozilla and itunes.

Could someone pls give me some guidance. THANKS!

tzifm - Can you supply more minidumps? The debugger tool says Analysis Inconclusive.

crwladybug - It would help if you made your own thread and to attach your minidumps.

How to find minidumps: My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Files in the Minidump Folder. It is these files that we need, not the whole folder. Attach these minidumps. If you have a lot of them place them together in a Zip file and attach.

6 minidumps attached. I hope this will help.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    83.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Minidump1.zip
    73.2 KB · Views: 6
All your minidumps repost Analysis_Inconclusive. However all your crashes are errored as 0x8E which is often a driver conflict. See this link to read more on it.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms794023.aspx

A. 3 of your minidumps mention IEXPLOER.EXE which is the main executible for Microsoft internet explorer. Without this you don't connect or surf the web.

B. 2 of your minidumps mention HelpSvc.exe which is an executible of the Windows OS and it has to do with security in the sense of pop-ups, plus other items.

C. One minidump listed ccApp.exe which belongs to Norton anti-virus; is responsible for autoprotect.

D. Another minidump lists Acrobate.exe which is a process belonging to Adobe Acrobat writer.

Somewhere in the mix you have a serious driver conflict and my suspicion is Adobe and here is why. Adobe's latest offering is causing quite a bit of conflicts for many people. It has become bloated. Their latest offering of their Micromedia Flash is causing internet crashes. Microsoft reports this as so and Adobe is aware but they have yet to rectify the problem. I have been a victim of this myself.

I was also having the continuous conflict with Adobe Reader because its Autoupdate.exe would NOT shut down anytime I wanted to read or download a PDF file. It was loading my cpu at 99%! End Task would not work. So I uninstalled and went with Foxit and I haven't had any issues with opening and downloading PDF files.

Here are my suggestions, others may tell you differently:

1. Simplest thing to do is uninstall any and all things Adobe and see if that rectifies the issue.

2. You might want to consider another anti-virus solution. Norton is notorious for being bloated and hogging resources. To be fair, their latest offerings are much better at system resource demands.

3. Run your anit-spyware/anti-malware programs, your anti-virus programs just to make sure you are not infected. In addition run Kaspersky's, Trend-Micro's, and BitDefender's free online scans.

4. If you don't have it, download and install CCleaner. This is a GREAT free tool and is completely safe.

5. Defrag if you haven't in awhile.

6. Lastly, run memtest to test your RAM.

* In addition you main need to run check disk and you may be required to put your OS disk in your drive and do a repair. But see if the above helps first.

The problem may be related to eeCtrl.sys (spyware). Un-install eeCtrl.sys and install another spyware for problem isolation.

Thanks for the replies!
Route44, Thanks for the analysis, it really helped.
After finding a guide on this site about minidumps, i opened more minidumps and found even more files mentioned. These included the executables of Power Point, Mozilla Firefox and more. This leads me to suspect the anti virus (Symantec Corp. 10.2), which i will replace.
If it doesnt help, i'll remove Adobe programs.

cpc2004, what do you mean when you say "install another spyware"?
Anti virus maybe?

Thanks again.

Sorry, I really forgot about this thread.
After replacing the Symantec anti virus with Nod32, there were no more crashes.
Seems like this was the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to hear this has been resolved. NOD32 is what I use but I am sticking with version 2.7 until they work out all the issues plaguing version 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back