BSOD, 0x8E, CItronix GD8000

Hi guys.

UPDATE: I got a little information from the guys who use the systems. It seems to be a driver problem as most of the BSODs are occurring (ironically) while using the LPR software, which also utilizes GPS to interface with the system. I will have them uninstall the drivers for the GPS and see if it eliminates or replicates the problem.

The company I work for has three General Dynamics Itronix GD8000 laptops (milspec hardware), two of which I recently upgraded to Windows 7 x86 in order to use them with software for an ALPR system that we sell.

I'm receiving BSODs as the title implies on both systems with Win 7, and the error code produced is 0x8e (others are C0000005, 9BFA4589, B96EF97C), which typically implies a RAM issue. However, I've ran MemTest on both systems with no errors detected.

All drivers are up to date, as issued by Itronix/GD, and one system currently has SP1 installed, while the other doesn't (I haven't had a chance to get it updated, since the guy who uses it is on the road mostly).

Thoughts and ideas? I've spoken to guys at General Dynamics about this, and they can't seem to place a finger on it.

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

BW

An 8E bug check can mean a lot more than memory:

Usual causes: Insufficient disk space, Device driver, Video card, BIOS, Breakpoint in startup without having a debugger attached, Hardware incompatibility, Faulty system service, 3rd party remote control, Memory.

If you would like to zip up about 6 minidumps from each of the two PC's (please keep then seperate) I'll analyse then to see what they reveal.

Can you give me some information on what ALPR is. All I can find is Automatic Licence Plate Recognition, is that what it is?

Mark56:

The ALPR is indeed what you said it is (manufactured by Elsag North America, inc. --> elsag.com). However, the software they have is compatible and I've ruled it out through uninstalls and other tests.

I'll grab minidumps from one, and get the other system later this week and send via email or FTP (whichever is more convenient for you).

It sounds to me like hardware, above all else. But I've been wrong before.

I'll keep you posted.

BW

Best if you send in the minidumps in two zip files and attach them to your next post, clcik on Go Advanced below the reply box and you will see the facility to make attachments.

I've attached a zip file with six of the most recent minidumps. There were approximately 20 of them.

Last night, I uninstalled the USB GPS driver and removed the GPS device and allow him to operate the unit to see if the problem replicated itself, and thus far I haven't seen anything (yet).

I should also clarify that these are being used in conjunction with docking stations within several vehicles (I don't have a model number for you offhand), however I do believe it could potentially have something to do with those if the GPS fix doesn't work.

I'll post an update later today.

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    191.9 KB · Views: 1
First thing to do is to turn on Windows Update as your Windows 7 is out of date, you should be up to SP1. This might help fix some issues.

Then I would completely uninstall Symantec Endpoint Firewall and just use the standard windows firewall. The driver Teefer2.sys belonging to this firewall is causing a problem. This is the guide for the uninstall procedure: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102286&locale=en_US. This guide and tool may be easier if it applies to your version http://www.ehow.com/about_6632226_sep-removal-tool.html

Check for any updates to the motherboard drivers as there is a Gigabit Ethernet Controller named in the dumps so it should be reinstalled and/or updated.

There are two windows drivers in the dumps, one is a USB driver Ser2pl.sys, which are not usually a problem but getting all the Microsoft updates for windows 7 may fix them. The GPS USB device may have caused a conflict with this driver.

Back