BSOD (acpi.sys, atapi.sys, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

for about a month my computer displays some BSODs everytime i open it up in the morning. all i do is reset and turn it on and off again until winxp loads and im able to use it. but just recently, the BSODs keep appearing and i wasn't able to use my computer so i decided to format it, here's the scenario;

1. formatted pc and installed winxp sp2, but as soon as this process appears "Setup is Loading Windows", a BSOD appears with this msg:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA with the error pointing out to acpi.sys.
then i try to reset and finally "Setup is Loading Windows" will do it's thing and load to the next screen where you can choose what to do (press ENTER to install windows, press R for Recovery Console, press F3 to quit Setup) but my keyboard becomes unresponsive so i can't still install windows.
- so with this i still have no OS.

2. i tried to install win98 and it goes well for the scandisk part, then as soon as it's about to copy files needed for windows setup, it freezes at no constant percentage of the progress.
- still i have no OS.

3. i tried to install WINXP but it also freezes.
- and yet no OS.

>here's what i did:
>reseated rams
>memtested rams with 0 errors
>cleaned whole cpu thinking that maybe overheating would be the cause
>checked for overclocking (none so far)
>reset cmos to defaults
>reset cmos to optimal settings
>cleared cmos
>tried different rams
>tried other video cards
the above mentioned are what i did, still no avail.

here are other BSODs that appear:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (occurs most of the time along with acpi.sys problem)
atapi.sys related BSOD (occured once)
BAD_POOL_CALLER (occured just once)

here is what i noticed when i cleaned the mobo:
the top of the capacitors are bulged and there's some rust looking plaque on top, which of course i cleaned and removed. (is this a contributing factor to my problem?)

any suggestions, comments, help would be welcome, please do not ask me for the minidumps coz i don't have an OS that's why i can't look into it. i urgently need your ideas regarding this. March is nearing and i need my PC to finish my thesis (which of course costs a lot coz of research etc etc), and i need to see what the main problem is first before i spend some allowance on it.

THANKS VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Well you have done everything except tried another power supply... What are your systems specs?

well this is my other pc so it's kinda low coz i got only enough money to save for an upgrade of one pc.

here's the specs:
sempron 2800+
ino3d geforce mx/4000
40g hdd
384 ram

ok i tried another power supply it went fine but when it comes to loading the Kernel Debbuger it freezes. no progress from there on.

aside from that this BSOD appeard DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with acpi.sys as the culprit...

any ideas or help are always welcom.

here is what i noticed when i cleaned the mobo:
the top of the capacitors are bulged and there's some rust looking plaque on top, which of course i cleaned and removed. (is this a contributing factor to my problem?)
those capacitors are dead. If you're good with the soldering iron, you can replace them yourself with the same ones, or just RMA/replace the motherboard.

sorry guys for keeping you waiting...

well i have been busy this past few days that's why i wasn't able to reply to you guys, got a lot of things to be taken care of in school.

for the capacitor thing, i'll get it checked maybe later and post a reply on how it went as soon as we get to the bottom of the problem. well i aint good in soldering so ill have someone to fix it for me, and hopefully this will solve my case...

thanks a lot for the replies and more power.

p.s. ill post a rply asap when i get the mobo checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back