BSOD after installing new memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i recently bought some OCZ DDR to upgrade my machine a bit, i had a SAITEC 512MB DDR400 and bought 2 512MB OCZ DDR400 (all CL2.5) to add to it. the first new stick i got i put in and when i booted up i got a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD, with an ati file listed, so i reinstalled my gfx driver, which seemed to solve the problem. so my other stick arrives a few days later, put that in and the computer wont boot at all. i solved that by lowering the memory FSB to 266 (my motherboards cpu FSB is 333, and i have a 266 FSB athlon xp2200+ cpu).

however if i try to launch system mechanic 6, it just gives a BSOD, which it never with the SAITEC and the first OCZ stick. also i tried defragging last night and when i looked this morning defragger had closed itself so i checked the date of the latest .dmp, and it was 4am so i think it BSOD'ed in the night and rebooted.

if i put the 2 OCZ sticks in, it seems ok, if i put 1 OCZ and 1 SAITEC it seems ok, but if i put 1 in that third memory bank, it doesnt seem to like it, which makes me think i can only use DDR400 in the first 2 slots before having to lower the speed on the BIOS. so the obvious answer would be to either use 1 gig 400 or 1.5 gig at 266, however, now im getting a BSOD with system mechanic with either combo. iv searched up and down looking for a solution, any1 got any ideas?

iv attached the last 3 dmps, and my system spec is this:

MSI KT4V motherboard
2x OCZ DR400 CL2.5 512MB RAM
1x SAITEC DDR400 CL2.5 512 MB RAM
Athlon XP2200+ CPU
Radeon 9800SE 128MB
SB Audigy 2 Platinum eX

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Don`t mix speeds/brands/sizes of ram. It causes lots of problems.

See Tedsters ram sticky HERE.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

P.s I forgot to add. Your minidumps are crashing due to ram problems, but I guess you already know that.

well, the OCZ sticks are identical, the SAITEK is just a different brand but otherwise the same, but im getting the same when i use the 2 OCZ sticks as when i use 1 OCZ 1 SAITEC

Thanks again Howard, i tried most of those (didnt do memtest, i will do that tonight) but no luck. i am now getting the blue screen from system mechanic just using a single stick too, even the original stick that i have used for the last couple of years with no problems. the only STOP messages im getting are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. do you think a format would solve it? or maybe buying a new motherboard with a 400 FSB, and nforce chipset instead of a VIA KT400 chipset?

a zip of my 6 latest minidumps is attached

ok i uninstalled System Mechanic and Kaspersky Antivirus and it seemed to do the trick, no more blue screens so far. Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

Ash

Thankyou for your feedback.

I`ve just looked at your latest minidumps.

5 crash at sptd.sys. Daemon tools driver. They also reference Vax347b.sys. This is the Alcohol120% driver. They all have a bugcheck of 50.

The sptd.sys driver can cause issues on some systems/configurations, as can the Vax347b.sys driver. I think this is probably a software driver conflict.

The other minidump crashes at klif.sys. Kaspersky. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

2 of your first set of minidumps are corrupt and unreadable. This is what led me to believe you had a ram problem.

1 of the first set of minidumps crashes at sptd.sys and references Vax347b.sys. Your actual problem.

I hope this helps.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back