ECS p4m800-pro v 1.0A VIA chipset
6600GT eVGA AGP video card 128MB
Audigy 2 5.1 sound card
litescribe dvd-rw
sony cd-rw
(1 stick) 512MB DDR 3200 kingston valueram
pentium D 775 dual core processor 1.6ghz
320gb seagate SATA

This computer would randomly crash anytime it wants and it seems like it does not depend on how much load it is encountering. It would crash during games like FEAR, Supreme Commander and it would even crash when I'm just browsing the net with firefox.

-I ran the memtest and the ram is good.
-I ran seatools to see if my harddrive is bad but that was good.
-I took out the 6600gt video card and used the onboard graphics and the computer still gave me a BSOD
-i used another HD with vista installed and still got a random reboot.
-I really don't know what the problem is since random crashes are generally linked to faulty ram.
-the temperatures (processor speeds) are fine ranging from 28C idle to 38C running games

i'm starting to suspect the ECS VIA chipset motherboard
Any thoughts? Thanks

neo, I looked at your minidumps and I believe it will take people who have considerable more knowledge than me to get to the root cause. But this is what I did read:

Dumps 30507-01 and 113006-01 point to Sptd.sys and both pulled up Intel Genuine with 507-01 specifically stating "Hardware error reported by the CPU."

I am hoping it isn't your CPU.

Dump 31807-03 pointed to kmixer.sys If you can I would run a the system internals utility

Dump 33007-01 points to wdmaud.sys and here is something that Ifound that can give more light on what this is:

The process MMSYSTEM Wave/Midi API mapper belongs to the software Microsoft® Windows® Operating System by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com.

Description: wdmaud.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 82944 bytes (92% of all occurrence), 77440 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. wdmaud.sys is a Windows core system file. The program has no visible window. It is a Microsoft signed file. There is no detailed description of this service. wdmaud.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 0% dangerous.

Also in this dump was listed mame32k.exe and from what I could gather is that it has to do with gaming apps; but I could be wrong.

Sorry I couldn't be more help; it seems from what I have read that there are some core app and driver issues.

Hopefully someone like peterdiva, howard_hopkinso, or Tmagic650 will come along because they know TONS more than I do.

Oh no, I hope the CPU is not corrupted. I bought this ECS/penti D combo at Fry's and i think i lost the receipt.

mame32k probably refers to the time the computer crashed, i was testing the computer with gunbird using mame32k and it just crashed into a BSOD.

Maybe it is the CPU since i ruled out the RAM, video card, sound card and hard drives.

Neo, one other thing. I just learned that the Sptd.sys is a daemon tool driver. Earlier I came across this, but I wasn't sure, but furthewr research points to this. Do you have this installed?

neo_weapon said:
yea but daemon works fine with my laptop. Why does it not work on this one?

Ah, the perpetual mystery of computer systems. We don't know why some software works on some systems and not others. nevertheless, your Minidump is at least pointing to your damon tool. You may want to uninstall and then re-install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back