BSOD and restart on Windows 7

I have a Compaq pressario cq61. and it restarts after showing BSOD and gets stuck at BIOS. please help. I am atatchn the minidump file. I run
windows 7
2gb ram
intel pentium dual core 2.10 ghz. t4300

Attachments

• 100210-21262-01.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 1
Is your system still under warrenty? Because if it is then you need to have them fix your system with no questions asked. Here is why:

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive which is always the case in these errors.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source o 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* Again, if it is still under warrenty tell them your issues and that your minidump file was read and error code is 0x124.

yeah, the laptop becoms very hot. its under waranty. i guesss there is no other way than return it. thnx a lot. and it happens when i leave it on the bed.

No, however, use a cooling pad to keep notebook temperatures down.

And never leave a notebook on bed, or for that matter on glass surface for too long, because that is the two instances where I've experienced highest temperatures with notebooks.

What Arch says! Heat will cause all kinds of problems. See if getting it cooled down resolves the issue.

@Route
Hey, hope all is well at your end.

Yup, and lets hope it isn't too late and he hasn't friend anything ....... yet.

when i keep it on my lap it works fine, although its a lil hot. i have to get a coolin pad. anyways ill go to the shop and ask them to do something about the heat. the fan only wrks in the start. then i dnt hear anything. maybe its still working and i dnt hear it

If you place your hand right underneath the fans you should be able to feel the hot air being pushed out by them ..... anyway trying finding a good quality cooling pad, not one of those fancy things they are selling out, because most of them just doesn't properly do what is required of them.

@ Arch -- things are going fine. :)

For the OP, what cooling pad brand(s) would you recommend? Also, the ones that draw air away or the ones that blow air into the laptop?

I always recommend cooling pads which draw air away, because there is one caveat with the ones which blow air into the notebook i.e. they also pump dust particles into already cramped/hot space of notebook's interior, which IMO isn't a good idea.

I think any of the Belkin / Thermaltake / Lian Li / Cooler Master would be ok, however, personally I like either of Cooler Master and this Thermaltake.

been getting the start up. wont start even if safe mode selections are choosen

will start and load the windows xp screen and then "FLASHES" a blue screen stating...

STOP: c0000218 (error in file register)
The register can't load the following part (file):
...\Systemroot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or the logbook file, or the replacing file of the part.
Is is damaged, not present, or not writable

ect. ect. ect. ughhh.

Any way of stopping it from restarting or steps to configure this?

I would appreciate the help.

Back