BSOD at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been this frustrated and at the end of my rope before. I have an HP a620n, which has worked fine until recently. This morning I discovered I had a virus, associated with the dllhost32.exe file. I booted into safemode to try and remove it. While running a virus scan, the system crashed. I rebooted and I got the BSOD. I stuck in the WinXP cd and was just going to format, but every time I do, the CD loads all the files, and right before it gets to the screen to ask if I want to install windows (it even says "Setup is Starting Windows") or do a repair, it blue screens. I get an 0x0000007E () error. I am more than willing to just wipe my drive and start over, but I can't even get past that. I stuck in another drive, that was a slave and I just was willing to delete the partition and install Windows, and I get the same issue. I also removed my extra stick of RAM, to put it back at 512 just to check.

What could it be? Please anyone help!

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0x00040000,0xF7934054,0XF7933D50)
0xC0000005

Bad hard drive, bad memory, bad cpu fan, or damaged Windows from the virus or whatever infestation you had. Installing Windows in repair mode while in Safe Mode from a cold boot should work, normally, but the HP disc may not allow it... you may require a full version of windows to fix it. I would bite the bullet... save your data to another hard drive while in safemode, then repartition, reformant, and reinstall.

After hours of trying to save the data, fearing the HDD was toast, I just decided to reformat. That is when I'm having this error come up, when I put the WinXP CD in. It won't let me even get to the screen to format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back