BSOD could I have the hard disk in the wrong SATA port?

1. Well, here's the system specs to start off...

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.3
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K x4 Clocked at 5801 MHz
    RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    Harddisk: Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G
    VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W 80+ Bronze
    Cooling: Corsair Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler
    Network: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
    DirectX 11

Hopefully that's enough.
    Anyway I built this computer about 3 weeks ago and immediately had BSOD problems and graphics error kernel problems and whatnot. The graphics one I haven't seen in a little while now so hopefully I took care of that. Now I get random shut offs and blue screens. This is the newest error message: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR2. So what I'm wondering is do I have the harddisk in the right Sata port? I thought I did according to the diagram, currently it's in SATA3_0/1 which is supposed to support Intel 6gb/s connectors...but maybe I should have it in the 3gb/s ones? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    P.S. I've also ran memtest 86+ and there weren't any errors from that. Next I'm going to remove 3 of the mem sticks and run a test individually on each of those. Temps look great- under 30C for everything and I have ran a stress test for an hour and they stayed around 60C...Is it weird that Windows gives me a 5.9 rating for the Harddrive?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,454   +135

Experiment with different SATA ports and back off the over-clocking to 3.3GHz until you get the instability cured
  3. misanthropic42

misanthropic42 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I was checking my dump files and it says on there that I have memory corruption. So I'm gonna try to check the mem sticks one at a time with memtest and see how that goes. If not then I gotta check the drives for corrruption. It's gonna be a long night....
  4. Tmagic650

Over-clocking improperly for the hardware and the bios settings can cause all this, especially in a new computer
  5. misanthropic42

misanthropic42 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Memory

Yah I know it does. I'm pretty sure its a memory stick though, It's been blue screening before I overclocked it. I ran memtest again all night last night instead of letting it do one sweep and it's getting stuck at the last test, modulo 20. So now I have to take them out one at a time and see if its a stick or a slot.
  6. Tmagic650

Okay good luck :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.