BSOD/crash, unknown - (report included)

Hello there! I'm glad I found these forums; thanks for having me.

I've been having weird issues with slowdown recently. Just 10 or so minutes ago, I finally deleted StarForce drivers, and everything seems to be running smoother.

I've always thought I had too many running processes, and recently saw two of the same exact processes running at the same time. One was using more memory than the other (one being aroun 190K, the other around 9,200K). I now can't exactly remember the processes' names, but I believe they were something along the lines of "smss.exe" or "srmms.exe" - Windows Session Manager (or, "Service Manager," I apologize for my bad short term memory).

Before getting rid of StarForce, I saw the processes. I tried to "end process tree" the 9200k executable and then my computer crashed.

Here is the report:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 88FA3D90
BCP3: 88FA3EDC
BCP4: 82E1DDC0
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini012911-01.dmp
C:\Users\SeCALPHA1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-115019-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\SeCALPHA1\AppData\Local\Temp\WER18EC.tmp.version.txt

Here are the dmp, xml and txt files, if needed:
ioj [dot] com/v/0gn38

Also, I don't know if this will be useful, and I'm aware this isn't an anti-virus board, but here is my HijackThis report, for reference:
ioj [dot] com/v/4f4mv

I don't know much about these things. I'm a hands-on hardware guy, not brainy software guy!

Thanks for any and all help. I hope to hear back soon.

-TB

Hi, glad you found this place. Are you having issues now since uninstalling StarFoprce drivers and are you still receiving BSODs?

I've had issues since before StarForce with crashing and sluggish load times. Since deleting the drivers, things are loading faster and smoother.

I used to have random crashes at times, without any report thereafter.

Sometimes, only when gaming (at least, it seems so; I haven't tested with any other program/s) my game crashes to desktop. I think I might have memory issues (possible memory leak?) but I don't know what to do to find this out.

It always crashes after excessive graphical instances, such as many explosions, "dead" models and excessive visual effects running all at once. I've also had hard system crashes, several times, from gaming as such.

My system:
Vista 32bit
Phenom II X4 955 black (stock)

MB: MSi 790fx GD70 (v1.3 bios)

RAM:4gb (installed; 3.20 effective)
Corsair Dominator DDR3 10666 (dual channel;unganged)

Radeon 4870x2 (stock; 10.2 catalyst driver suite)

Sounds like it could be a video card driver issue. Have you tried running your system with just a single card?

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Here is the only file in that folder. I hope this helps. Thanks for responding so quickly, too.

Attachments

• Mini012911-01.dmp
    140.2 KB · Views: 1
AVG was cited as one of its drivers was not loading. Seriously this software has been causing a number of people issues. In fact earlier this month it was documented that AVG's then recent update literally crippled (their words, not mine) systems running Vista and 7.

Do you want free or $ security software.

Don't you think you could have chosen a more constructive answer?

If AVG is the problem, can you recommend a better alternative, please. I don't wish to pay for an anti-virus program while knowing a plethora of other, free, programs are available for me to download and use. Although I may be aware of some things, I admit I don't know everything about AV programs. I'd just like the best recommended program from what I believe is a reliable, credible source (e.g. TechSpot).

What does it tell me to know that a reportedly "superior" program suite(s) such as McAfee or Norton merely bog down, or otherwise "cripple" a machine for the sake of my computer's "security" when I'm aware of more reliable (and freeware, mind you) means to secure my computer? That's not giving me much leeway in regards to what I should or shouldn't believe is better or worse to install; and telling me something so seemingly sarcastic and shallow, let alone something I'm already aware of, doesn't do anything to help.

Free or not, that doesn't matter and never should matter at all. I just want something effective and efficient. Again, if AVG is the potential problem (not only as a potential resource leech/faulty drivers, installation, etc - but also being a power-gamer) then can you please just recommend me a means to an end; a solution for the problem at hand?

Thanks (sincerely).

Don't you think you could have chosen a more constructive answer?
Do you think you could have had a more civil response? You need to seriously re-read the tone in which you wrote. I answer a great many of these posts daily and certainly weekly and I hang with people as long as it takes or until they want or need to move on.

I have answered on this forum many times about security products and I always ask if a person wants the $ or free because it gives a person many good, solid options. Some only want free while others prefer $ and many times they ask for a listing of both. If you would have simply said it didn't matter or prefer so and so I would have taken the time to give you a nice list. Instead you answer in a condencending manner.

I'll let somebody else answer your need. I will no longer respond to this thread nor look in on it. You really are a bur...

Back