BSOD - Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer

Hi,

Noticed on another thread of someone with a similar problem. (This isn't my machine, but I'm trying to fix it). Seems that this has something to do with a security attack.

I have Hirens boot disk and am able to get some information from this. However how do I find out who or where this attack has come from?

I have attached the minidump file and would appreciate any help you can give me.

Don't worry about doing a virus check etc. I am simply going to format the hard drive and run a windows installation.

Regards,

Peter.

Attachments

• Mini080511-01.dmp
    137.4 KB · Views: 3
This crash was caused by ForceField.exe which is part of ZoneAlarm firewall. IMO ZA is not as good any more as it used to be, and I'll rather suggest you to uninstall it, and either get Comodo Personal Firewall or Online Armor both are free, and are much better options anyway.

You are welcome, please let us know in case you need any further assistance and good luck.

Hi yes there was just one more thing:

When I was with the customer last week, I ran a recovery and when complete, was able to connect to the internet via the router right away. (Customer has adsl connection)

Now when I boot the machine up, a dial up account appears to be trying to connect to somewhere but I can't find out where.

There is no username and the password is blanked out.

see attached:

Question is - is this part of the security failure which is linked to the ZoneAlarm crash?

Has someone compromised the machine because I don't think there should be anything in the Dialup and VPN settings at all.

Thanks,

Peter.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2
"Dial Whenever a Network Connection is Not Present" must be deselected, with that I think dialup dialog box should disappear.

Back