BSOD during any intensive use, think video card is to blame

Hi guys,
I've been having some pretty bad trouble with my desktop PC recently; it started about six days when I came home to find it had shut itself off but still had power. Resetting soon showed that my computer could make it as far as the desktop and last for maybe three minutes before crashing (lose sound, video and as far I could tell everything else except for power). It kept power and the fan for my video card would get extremely loud.
I've since made this problem much less extreme by uninstalling my video drivers and installing up to date drivers in safe mode.
The problem is that it still does it but only when I'm doing something fairly intensive like certain video games or playing high resolution videos in media player classic (other media players don't seem to set it off). I can usually play a game for about three to five minutes before it crashes. The video card fan does still get louder when this happens but not as much as it did before.
I've run memtest and found no problems with my RAM and I tried using driver sweeper to more thoroughly remove my video drivers but that has had no effect either.

Specs:
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
OCZ Vertex 128GB Solid state
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5
PSU: Antec 520 (about 6 months old)
Videocard: Geforce GTX 550 Ti (about 18 months old)
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M
RAM: 4096MB Corsair Vengance

I've been looking for a solution for almost a week and I'm on the verge of either wiping my solid state and doing a fresh install of windows or getting a new video card. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Minidumps-7-8-13.zip
    724.5 KB · Views: 2
The power supply might not be giving enough power to the video card now. Try another larger power supply. See if the BSOD's (Driver Power State Failure) stop

I do recall that when this first started happening that one of the things the windows action center was saying was that I needed new power management drivers, which I did try to do. Something to do with Asus cool and quiet. I initially thought that might have been the cause (I've found my video card hates power changes as going into sleep mode tends to cause similar power state failures) but I gave up on that line of thought when uninstalling the video drivers fixed the worst of this problem.

Also running a power supply calculator shows that my PSU should be more than capable of handling everything in my tower. My PSU is 520W and with everything in my comp (this is erring on the side of caution and adding more HDDs/fans/power consuming USB devices than I have) I'd still only need about 330 W minimum and 375 W recommended. Even more recent and expensive videocards should be getting enough power in my setup.

The only thing I can think of, in case you haven't, is that something might be overheating? You mentioned your fan was making a lot of noise, have you checked it to make sure nothing is blocking it, and it still turns freely. Or is the fan struggling to turn?

My fans are working totally fine and I've done a thorough clean of my tower to make sure nothing like that was causing it. I've monitored the temperature of my video-card and it barely goes above warm.

Sometimes when a RAM module is on the verge of failing, it will pass the MEMTEST but as it heats up and starts to be utilized, the computer will stop responding. Did you try to remove one module at a time and attempt to run your pc in that state? If you have the spare modules, you could try to replace one at a time and try again.

Back