BSOD error...info inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

primacarne

Hello all, I recently bought a used T42 thinkpad laptop. I am getting the infamous BSOD on rare occasions...but about twice a day...when im not running anything intensive, just aim and firefox to the bes tof my knowledge.... it is a Pentium M 1.7ghz with 2GBs of Kingston ram...the ram sticks were in my previous laptop and I simply moved them both to this one....I never had a BSOD once on my previous computer...here is the error, and minidumps, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BCCode : 4e BCP1 : 00000099 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9754.dir00\Mini012407-02.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER9754.dir00\sysdata.xml

I would just like to add something I forgot to mention..

I read something about SoundMAX causing the problem of this sort on microsoft.com

I have SoundMAX and I also have a problem that I dont have sound from my speaker, only headphones when plugged in...and when I adjust the external sound buttons above the keyboard on my T42, it sometimes causes a lag spike so to speak

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 5
Accordiing to the stack trace of the minidumps. I believe that the culpit is ram. Run memtest to stress test the ram.

alright...i went to download it, its an iso file? so i have to burn the image im assuming? i didnt see a setup file unless im mistaken...i just want to make sure and get the right thing

peterdiva said:
See HERE for instructions.

Thank you, that helped. I'm currently running the tests right now and im on a desktop...so far 50% complete and 0 errors..I will post all the results when I am finished with everything

alright so i ran the memory test, chk disk, set page file to 0 defraged then set it to 1.5 etc etc etc i did the entire thing....everything did come back normal with no errors, and since i did all the i havent gotten the bsod....

im just updating you guys because didnt want to be the average noob that came and leeched for help and left without even saying thank you...

so, thanks for your help!

Hi primacarne,

Thanks for your update. Did you reseat the memory module to another memory slot? If you didn't reseat the ram, the root cause is bad paging space.

actually i did not reseat the ram modules and it was working A OK...but then instead of getting a BSOD i would get random freezes every once in a while....and then all of a sudden yesterday I get the dreaded bsod again.....so as soon as i can locate a can of compressed air im going to open up the laptop clean everything out the best i can and swap the ram sticks after cleaning them...i will update my results in due time

alright i opened the laptop and switched the ram....so far so good i hope i dont jinx it though lol....and i didnt have compressed air to clean it but it was clean as new inside...not a single spec of dust!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back