BSOD even after restorying factory defaults

By Psychoclown
Sep 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I started getting BSOD last weekend. Once BSOD appeared, the computer would crash after rebooting. System restores seemed to fix things for about a day, but then BSOD would return, usually after the computer had been sitting idle for some time. The problem progressively got worse and I tried restoring to factory defaults. That worked for a few days and then BSOD returned. System restore would again get about a day before it returned. Currently I'm running the computer in safe mode with networking and it seems stable there.

I'm a total newb when it comes to IT, but I was curious if there was anyway to fix this before I went and bought a new computer. Any advice you give me would be appreciated, but please keep in mind I have almost zero IT knowledge, so walk me through each step as if I was a *****. Thanks!

I see you guys usually ask for the minidump files, but as I try to upload them it says it does not have an allowed extension.

I'm running Windows 7 and have eMachines computer.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,276   +176

Zip the minidump files and attach the zip file. Zip is an allowed extension.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,450   +135

Yes, as Mailpup said go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files, right-click and send the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here
  4. Psychoclown

Psychoclown Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Sorry for the delay, but here are three minidumps. Let me know what you think

Attached Files:

5. Tmagic650

I'm running Windows 7 and have eMachines computer... The minidumps are pointing to a hard drive issue. How old is this eMachines?
  6. Psychoclown

Its not new, but its not old. At least I don't think so. I'd guess around 5 years. Its running stable in Safe Mode with Networking.
  7. Tmagic650

Time to re-in stall Windows fresh. This will tell you if the hard drive is trashed
  8. Psychoclown

I restored factory defaults and don't have a disk to reinstall windows any other way.
  9. Tmagic650

You are going to have to get a Windows install disk or trash this computer

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.