BSOD: Even when reinstalling XP via CD..

Page Fault in Non-Paged Area BSOD (STOP 0x00000050) constantly on XP Pro Dell laptop. Cannot even boot in safe mode. No new hardware, unsure of new software (my dad's old laptop from work that has not been used in a few months.)

Tried reinstalling from Windows XP Pro CD, however, when it got to the point of looking for existing installations of Windows, got the same BSOD. So now I'm completely stuck. Hoping someone out there has an idea for me?

Thanks much.

Have you
1. tried booting to safe mode?
2. looked for minidumps in the minidump directory?
3. checked hard-drive for integrity?
4. checked memory (Memtest)? Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

5. reviewed and followed the advice here ... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

And are you using an XP Pro CD that is an OEM or branded version from another system?

Re: BSOD even during reinstall

Thanks for the reply.
1. I cannot boot in safe mode
2. I cannot get to the directory since I can't boot in any mode.
3. I have not checked the hard drive. I imagine in order to do this I'd have to have whatever app on CD that I can boot first?
4. I have a memtest program on a thumb drive, but again, not sure how to boot that device. I may have to burn to CD?
5. I did look at this thread, however since it's a laptop and I can't boot up I wasn't able to follow most of the instructions.

The CD I am using is from a Dell desktop.

The CD I am using is from a Dell desktop
Is it for THIS model of Dell laptop?
If not you, then you have drivers on this cd that will not work on the current system.
Therefor your installation will not be successful.
This is consistent with your 0x50 error.

You will need the cd that Dell shipped with the system, or else a full version of Windows.
You may or may not be able to find retail packages still available.
Some sources seem to have them priced higher than Win7.

As for your hard drive... if you know the maker, they will have a utility for their drives.
This utility often will run outside of windows. Again, you would burn a disk for this.
If your hard-drive fails either the short or long test it will need replacement.

As for Memtest... yes... burn the iso to cd. It runs in it own environment.
Please follow this guide... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Please note that (unless you start getting errors reported) you will need to let this run a long time.
A good way of doing this is to let it run over night. In each 'pass" there are a series of eight memory tests that are run, each more complicated than the previous. You need to let it run a minimum of 7 passes, unless you start getting errors. If you have errors reported, you may want to re-run the test with only one stick of ram installed, checked each stick until you isolate those that are faulty. That way you can limit your replacement to those that actually need it.

Let us know the results. If your memory comes up without errors, then we can check other things.
HTH.

If nothing else works, try obtaining a MASTER DELL CD RESTORE. it will restore ANY DELL laptop or desktop. If you still having issues, then theres something wrong with ur hardware.

Back