BSOD every five minutes or so...maybe graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb17180116

I get the BSOD error very frequently after upgrading motherboard and graphics card. Started off by telling me that there was a problem with a graphics driver, so i updated those to the latest Catalyst drivers...didnt help. Now i get various blue screens with errors such as "driver irql not less or eqal" and "memory management" among others. Checked the ram, also switched for different ram, same problem. Im thinking maybe the video card needs replaced.

Windows XP SP2
MSI PM8M-V Motherboard
2.6 Ghz Pentium 4
2x512 PC2700 RAM
74 GB Western Digital HD
PowerColor Radeon X700 256MB Graphics Card AGP
500 Watt Dynex Power Supply

Minidumps included...please help....problem is very annoying :)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you upgraded your mobo, did you do a repair or a clean install of Windows? I`m assuming you used your old hard drive.

If you could answer this question first, then I`ll be in a better position to advise you.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sure did

Sorry, forgot to add that i did a fresh install of windows. So the events went as follows:

1. Old system worked just fine
2. Replaced Motherboard and graphics card...used same hard drive with same install of windows...this is where the problems started.
3. Did a fresh install of windows xp with service pack 2 and the problems continued.

Old system worked just fine, just thought it would be a good time to upgrade to a system with an agp slot so i could upgrade the graphics card too...

Thanks for your reply

I just wanted to be sure, that your system wasn`t crashing due to your hard drive still having the drivers for your old mobo.

Most of your minidumps crash at your Symantec/Norton security product.

Completely uninstall it and try using AVG free and Zonealarm free.

You Can get them HERE and HERE.

Once you have downloaded them, disconnect from the internet.

Completely uninstall your Symantec/Norton crapware.

Install Zonealarm, followed by AVG free. Reboot your computer the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the AVG updates.

See how your computer behaves.

Regards Howard :)

Ill give it a go

Thanks...ill definately try it...but i must add that before i reinstalled XP, i had NOD32 as my antivirus with no norton and still had the same problems...any other help you might give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

yes, i reinstalled them from the disc when i reinstalled windows....i tried to update the chipset drivers but couldnt find a newer version...it says on the vox VIA P4m800 + VT8237 Chipset Based....perhaps that might help? Im not exactly new at working on computers, but some things like this you dont really get experience with until it happens to you. Thanks...ill let you know the result of me getting rid of Norton/symantec here shortly.

Well so far after getting rid of Norton, ive gone over an hour without the computer restarting...this is good since it would happen very frequently. I still get an error when using firefox which also started with my new system, but thats for another post....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back