BSOD everytime playing Left 4 Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lho

Hi I'm kinda new with this so don't really know what to say.

About my problem:
This actually happens for as long as I remember. This almost happen to every game I play but the crash vary in time (It can be 15min or an hour or two). Played borderland and it pretty much do the same thing but I quit that game since it was getting annoying so I never looked into it. However, now I play Left for dead 2 and it happens every time, guarantee! It getting quite annoying and hoping people here can help.

Please help

Try updating your video drivers, or go to Left 4 Dead site for ther support and see if other users having this issue. They might have an updated patch to resolve issues like the one you having. Good luck

I am running Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3

I am hesitant to update any driver because last time I did that, I had to bring my computer to a store to fix it. They said something like the new drivers might not be better as they are unstable so its better to keep the driver he installed for me, hence I have no touch this department ever again.

However before I brought it to him, these problem would still occur even tho I have the latest driver so i suspect it is something else entirely.
Since the L4d2 run on steam, I think it automatically patch the game for me so that part I'm not worried.
And yes I ran searches on l4d2 forums, as well as Google, but all the answer given was unhelpful, and this problem seem to occur in other game too like Borderland, Mordern Warfare 2, etc... ( but lot less frequent)

-- I really hope it is not a problem with the hardware since I don't really have money to buy parts
Let me know what you think.

sometimes it is blue screen, in this case yes

but there are other times where the game would freeze up and repeat the sound over and over, and then the color of the screen would turn 16bit on me and then a error would show up saying

"n_4 driver has failed to function properly. Please reboot your machine..." (Can't remember the exactly wording)

and then I would restart the machine and after startup, an error report would show up saying Mircosoft Window encounter a problem, if I click

"to view technical information about the error report", it would give me similar message such as following:

example
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER848e.dir00\Mini070810-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER848e.dir00\sysdata.xml

Any idea?

I believe RealXboxMaster gave the correct answer. The "n_4 driver" is most likely a video card driver. Do the following:

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I have to leave for a few hours. Perhaps someone else will read them. If not I'll try later.

I recently post here because I had virus problem, but it's taken care of now but that might be one of the reasons why I currently only have one mini-dump file, hope that's okay.

I'll wait patiently for the next reply

Attachments

• Mini070810-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 5
Your minidump error code is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

It specifically cited the Nvidia video card display driver nv4_disp.dll as the cause of your system crashes. Try the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

do you know how to find the latest driver for nvidea 8800GT?
I would do the automatic scan on their site but it seems unreliable, like I mentioned, the computer guy at the store warned me about installing new driver and how they might be unstable,

just want to make sure, any advice?

The problem is the guy at the store installed your current drivers and that has brought instability as well.

Let them scan your card but that doesn't mean you have to let them install any driver. Then find the driver on their sight and download to your desktop screen.

Follow the seteps I gave above. If the newest drivers don't work then try the one just before it.

okay, I'll follow your instruction then.

Btw, would it be a good idea for me to make a restore point if I messed up?
Would the graphic card be back to the time before any changes?

Man I was stressed out while following the steps cause I was afraid of screwing stuff up.
Nevertheless, I followed everything to the point.
Do I run l4d2 now to see if the BSOD still persist or is there any more steps I need to follow?

No more steps to follow. Since updating and prior to playing any games, are you getting any freezes, etc.?

If not, try playing a game and see how it goes.

Can you remember when it actually started doing this? isit right after you installed LFD2 or you were getting it prior to installing LFD2?. If none of the above works for you, I recommend for you is to uninstall LFD2 and see if you are still having BSOD? If you still having issues after uninstalling LFD2, Then you know its your HW or SW. you just need to do elimination process one by one to determine what is causing your BSOD. Good Luck.

This problem actually started before I even have L4D2, its just this time it is more frequent than the other times.

As I mentioned before, I played games like borderland, modern warefare 2, starcraft, etc.
Once in a while, they would all suffer from BSOD crash or the color would suddenly change to 16bit and then request me to reboot after giving me an "nv4_disp.dll not working properly" error

Anyhow, thanks for all your help, I'll go give the game a run and see if there's any crashes
reporting back if I have them

Everything seems to be fine, so thank you for all the help I received here.
You guys are awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back