BSOD (& freeze), while new and tested computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

last week I got an e-mail from the pc shop where I go to, that my computer was ready to be picked up. I payed extra for them to build & test it, so I wouldn't expect any of this in first place.

Anyway I have been getting several BSOD's and (random) freezes after installing XP Pro (32bit). I have been looking stuff up via eventvwr.msc, but ended up nowhere.. so my last option is to come here and ask you guys for help. I've added the minidumps in the attachment.

Thanks in advance!

My pc:
AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz 2MB AM3 Box
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P AMD 790X, SATA2 RAID
Gigabyte PCI-e Radeon HD5750 1GB DDR5 2xDVI/HDMI/DP
4GB DDR2

Attachments

• Mini021110-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini021110-02.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini021210-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 1
Two of your errors are 0xA which are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting a higher IRQ Level address than are meant to.

Both cited Windows OS drivers and unfortunantly OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help.

The other one is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware though sometimes a driver is the issue.

In your case the ATI driver atiduag.dll is cited as the cause of your problem. Do the following:
1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* By the way, 32-bit Operating systems like XP will not recognize 4 gigs of RAM. In order to utilize 4 gigs you need either Vista or Windows 7 in a 64 bit version.

Thanks for the quick reply Route44

concerning the first 2 errors which you talked about, can I give you any more info to clear things up?
I only read about minidumps, hence I only added them in the attachment, let me know if you need anything else..

concerning the graphics card driver, I've first installed the drivers from the original CD after setting up Windows and yesterday I downloaded fresh drivers from ATI.com, so I will uninstall them now and reinstall them as you told, thanks for the info and I'll let you know how things go asap.

By the way, yes I know of the 4gigs of RAM thingy, but I changed to Win XP (32 bit) now after having LOTS of issues with x64 (software/driver wise), so I'm gonna use this for a while.. even though I cannot use the 4gigs.. (like 3,2 only)

Just when I thought everything was ok after I followed your steps for removing the graphics card driver and reinstalling... I received another BSOD with following error message from MS Windows (see jpeg attachment), so I guess we can exclude the graphics card from being a cause?
I've added the minidump of the BSOD as well, can you have a look?

Thanks again..

Attachments

• bsod.JPG
    bsod.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Mini021210-03.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 2
Memory corruption. You'll need to run the free and completely safe Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Hey Route44,

thanks, I just did both Memtests individually (on my 2 seperate sticks of ram), and both gave errors.. so I guess there's something wrong with them. I've read that it can be a motherboard issue too, can you confirm this? Otherwise I'm just gonna hand in the 2 sticks of ram at the shop, since I just have my PC for 1 week and have years of warranty.

Greets

If you get any errors with Memtest you have RAM that needs to be replaced.

As for the motherboard the one issue we find with that is when the mobo fails to set the voltage at the proper RAM specs and thus a memory corruption is cited as the issue when in actuality the voltage isn't set properly. This information can be found in the BIOS.

One other issue is with Asus motherboards when RAM has been installed that was not on the Vendoe Recommended List. There is one for each and every motherboard model Asus makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back