BSOD from driver

HiJackThis1.99

I have a computer which gave me a BSOD (it is running on Windows 7 Home Edition). After it restarted it said that it there was some sort of problem with the ATI Driver.

I have no idea what this means. What do I need to do?

Note, my computer has switchichable graphics (basic graphics card and more advanced one). So I am thinking that perhaps there was some kind of malfunction which made the computer confuse one graphics card for another. Not sure if that makes any sense to you.

Run Windows Update from the "All programs" menu. Keep checking foe updates until no more are found and installed. Windows 7 should have Service Pack 1 installed too. Go to Control Panel, System. It should say "Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1" somewhere near the top of the window. That ATI driver is your video driver. Hopefully Windows Update will find the proper driver to fix this

I think the problem occured when the computer was entering sleep mode. Somehow that activated the problem. Actually, on my other computer I had this happen to me to. When the computer was going into sleep mode from not being used it ended up getting a BSOD.

Can you please attach latest minidumps from this PC? You can find them in C:\windows\minidump. Please don't forget to zip them into a single file before attaching it with your next post.

Both of your crashes were caused by AMD Catalyst Graphic Driver (i.e. atikmdag.sys).

I would suggest you to uninstall the currently installed driver. Then download DriverSweeper, and remove any leftover driver files (it is preferable if you do this by booting into safe mode). Once you completed that, reboot normally and download latest WHQL drivers supporting your graphic card and install them. Hopefully that should solve the issue. Regards

Is this a safe thing to do? I am worried about that maybe this will cause more problems. Currently I do not have this problem, it only happened twice randomly in unusual circumstances. If I decide to go through what you say, then there is no risk of damage, is there?

There is no risk to your hardware whatsoever, however, if you don't want to do it, it is your choice.

Back