BSOD from wireless adapter

Hi guys I am new to the forums and would consider myself fairly beginner like when it comes to computer troubles.

I've been having trouble with my computer getting blue screens whenever I start it. I've singled the problem down to my wireless adapter where if it is plugged in when I start the computer, it goes to a blue screen. When I unplug it and start my computer, it runs, but after when I plug it in it goes to the bsod.

I use a linksys adapter and xp on my computer. A couple days ago, I had my modem replaced on my other computer (with the router) to get the internet running, but after that, the adapter started screwing with the computer. The only mode I can go into without it going bsod is in safe mode. It says to make sure I have adequate space but I am using less than half of its memory.

Any help or replies would be appreciated :)

Going into only Safe Mode in order to work is a strong indicator of faulty drivers. Most liekly you need to update your wireless drivers but this is only a guess at this point so...

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Hey and thanks for the reply!

I followed your instructions and loaded the files from the faulty computer through a usb. Here they are

Attachments

• Mini122610-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • Mini122510-02.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini122510-03.dmp
  • Mini122510-04.dmp
  • Mini122510-05.dmp
How old is your Linksys adapter and how old are your drivers for this adapter, i.e., have you updated since installing this adapter?

They are both about 4 years old and have been working fine up until now. I guess the best way to fix the problem is to probably get a new adapter?

Your issue is with the Linksys wireless driver rt2500usb.sys. There is quite a bit on the net concerning it and for yopu to have no issues after 4 years until now is very good.

Try updating the drivers first.

I looked up and downloaded the stuff (Driver Performer) that would update my driver. The thing is that when I ran it on the computer it said that it could not finishes processing and it would show a microsoft error report. After that I tried using another one called Driver Detective and that one said I needed access to the internet. The thing is I can't get the adapter to function so I can't connect! I'm kinda stuck in a dilemma here! How can I update the driver or fix it without internet connection? Thanks!

If you have an ethernet cord you should be able to connect to your wireless router that way and therefore access your internet.

Or download the latest drivers to another system (without installing on that system) and transfer those drivers to a USB flash drive and then transfer said drivers to your system's desktop. Once done click on and update. I would first uninstall the old before installing the new.

Or, yes, it could be time for a new adapter.

Back