BSOD Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been getting BSOD and it's quite annoying. I have a dual boot system (xp64 & vista Ultimate 64) and I experience BSOD on both operating systems. Until now.. I got this BSOD only when I was working on some 3D applications like 3ds Max. But the tasks are not graphic/cpu intensive at all. I already tried reinstalling the apps but had no luck.

I've attached Minidumps from xp64 (SP2)

My machine spec:
Intel e2180
Asus P5k Deluxe
4gb of Crucial Ballistix
Corsair 620HX PSU
Geforce 8800GT
Seagate SATA 250gb

Thank you all in advance.

while im not sure whats causing the problems, i will say, that is one very nice build of a pc. custom made?

anyway, it may have to do with the fact that the versions you;re running are 64 bit. im not sure how 64 bit programs react to a program thats designed for 32 bit, but i do remember reading somewhere that it can have problems. have you tried 3ds max on a 32 bit wondows version? or did it work on vista or xp before you dual booted them?

What is your memory voltage set at, and exactly which crucial Ballistix do you have? How many DIMMs do you have?

Thanks all for your help.

plasma dragon00,
Yes it's custom made pc.
And I have another machine that has xp64 as well (not dual boot system though..) and every apps work fine. Maybe having a dual boot system is the cause of the problem???? I dunno.

Cinders
Memory voltage is 2.9v (Stock is 2.8v i believe) I have 4 dimms of 1gb Ballistix PC6400.

My machine is OCed slightly. Stock cpu speed is 2.0ghz and mine is 2.5ghz. Considering the overclockablity of e2180, it's mimal ocing. And I already run couple tests for stability (prime95, orthos, etc...) and I didn't have single problem. If you had a look at those minidmp files, can you give me some clues?? Thank you.

Your errors are 0x9C.

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution.

Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Route44 said:
Your errors are 0x9C.

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution.

Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

He has one of the best power supplies that money can buy so the power supply should be alright. Although, there is always that occasion where even the best manufacturers make a mistake. It's probably not the power supply anyway. I've never come across a problem where a power supply caused a BSOD so I would rule that out for now, though I am not saying it isn't possible. If I had to guess and we knew it was a hardware issue I would look at the RAM.

Download Memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/. The test takes a while, so do it when you are away from the computer.

If for some reason you are indeed overclocking, modifying memory timings, processor voltage or anything of that sort, this should be the obvious answer and reason for your problems. The answer to that problem is to load CMOS defaults and stop doing it, because if you're having these problems due to this and don't know the reason why, you shouldn't be doing it.

If you suspect the RAM and have more than one stick of RAM installed (most likely one or two) you could remove one and run with the other installed for a while to see if the problem occurs. Then remove that stick and install the other for a bit. If you're problem occurs with only one of these sticks of RAM, it's most likely the stick that is installed when the BSOD occurs that is faulty. Both sticks most likely are not faulty, so you should try eliminating one or both as possible causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back