BSOD in vista, STOP: c000021a

Status
Not open for further replies.
last night i was using my laptop as normal, surfing the web when i got a blue screen of death and the computer shut down. I couldn't read what the BSOD said before it restarted. Now I can no longer boot Vista. Luckily I have Windows 7 installed on a partition which is what i am using now, so apparently it is not a problem with the computer itsself, just vista.
When i boot vista, the little status bar that comes up before the log on screen should load stays on the screen for a good 5 mins, and then the screen goes black for about a min and then i get the BSOD again, which this one said:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000006 0x00100418).
The system has been shut down.

I have tried booting in all options it gives me for the vista partition. No luck. The safe mode gets stuck after avgrkx64.sys and won't load.

I do not have a repair disk for Vista Ultimate 64 bit, which I am running, seeing that my boyfriend installed it for me and I do not know the location of his CD.

This is an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop, i bought it in 2007.

If anyone could help me out with this, that would be greatly appreciated. I can access the vista part of the partition from the windows 7 partition, as i have started to back up my files in case i need to do a restore. Thank you.

First, good move on backing up your important information. This error is a good indication of malware/virus etc., infestation. I suggest to contiue backing up important data and also to visit the Virus and Malware forum and read the sticky on the * Steps throughly. If you decide to do the 8 steps post all required/requested logs there.

Back-up material willl need to be scanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back