BSOD in vista, STOP: c000021a

By carlykayexox
Mar 23, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. last night i was using my laptop as normal, surfing the web when i got a blue screen of death and the computer shut down. I couldn't read what the BSOD said before it restarted. Now I can no longer boot Vista. Luckily I have Windows 7 installed on a partition which is what i am using now, so apparently it is not a problem with the computer itsself, just vista.
    When i boot vista, the little status bar that comes up before the log on screen should load stays on the screen for a good 5 mins, and then the screen goes black for about a min and then i get the BSOD again, which this one said:
    STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000006 0x00100418).
    The system has been shut down.

I have tried booting in all options it gives me for the vista partition. No luck. The safe mode gets stuck after avgrkx64.sys and won't load.

I do not have a repair disk for Vista Ultimate 64 bit, which I am running, seeing that my boyfriend installed it for me and I do not know the location of his CD.

This is an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop, i bought it in 2007.

If anyone could help me out with this, that would be greatly appreciated. I can access the vista part of the partition from the windows 7 partition, as i have started to back up my files in case i need to do a restore. Thank you.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,117   +23

First, good move on backing up your important information. This error is a good indication of malware/virus etc., infestation. I suggest to contiue backing up important data and also to visit the Virus and Malware forum and read the sticky on the * Steps throughly. If you decide to do the 8 steps post all required/requested logs there.

Back-up material willl need to be scanned.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.