Bsod: Irql Not Less Or Equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvo102

So i have a Dell XPS Gen 5 that i've had since May and after 2 months i started getting the BSOD screen with IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I called DELL (Hell) and they basically sent me replacement parts:

1 vid card
4 memory modules
and a whole motherboard

now everything is swapped out and replaced and I reformatted Windows XP Home and i've only loaded a few things on the pc:

Kaspersky AV 6
Flatout 2
Counter-Strike Source with HL 2.

The problem only occurs when I try to connect to a server in Counter-Strike Source. I can play Flatout 2 and play it multiplayer online with no problems. Before reformatting I also had problems when playing online with Jedi Knights: Jedi Academy.

Here are the last 3 address in the message:

0x000000d1 (0x88698070, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8631d26e)

0x000000d1 (0x8869fce5, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8633826e)

0x000000d1 (0x8769318a, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8631226e)

Other peripherals i have plugged in are:

Soundblaster Audigy 2z
Dlink 520+ wireless adapter
Nvidia Geforce 6800

I've already tried swapping slots on the PCI devices and also did the memory stick swap and tests, but i'm starting to think that it's not a hardware issue? The only thing i can think possible are:

1) Some sort of IRQ conflict being triggered once I click on a server in Counterstrike

2) Bad wireless card

3) Bad Sound card

or

4) Bad device drivers with one of these peripherals.

But since i've downloaded all of the latest drivers and have a fresh install with Win XP and updated all of my Bios's and chipset drivers, i can't think of anything else.

Oh yeah Kaspersky had found 23 viruses originally when before I reformatted twice, is it possible that the virus is still on the system even if i reformatted the HD 2x?

Thanks for any and all help and responses. I'm totally stumped on this issue.

I have no clue whats wrong but It happened to my Dell E310 as well I spent over 1 hours on Tech support, Restored the O/S 3or4 times, they had a tech come out and put in new RAM and a New Hardrve sill did it well really it made me get blue screens even faster. So I tohught enough was enough so I called tech support customer service you name it and demanded my money back and all they could do was take 15% restocking off plus 30% off since it was 4 months old at the time and shipping or I could have a system exchange but it was a refurb and I denclined and it jsut let them have it and well i was yelling at well maybe 3 or so mangers and like 1 or 2 floor supervisors untill they finally tlaked to their seniors at some department and they sent me a brand new comptuer brand new not refurb, now this one is making loud nosies!!!

Im so sorry to here about your problem I dont really have an answer sorry but I had the same BSOD message so maybe clal dell and try to get a new computer, and yes there tech support is hell i have my own slogon for dell remember there one solgon its a dell well mine is ITS A HELL SO ITS HELL lol

Im so sorry dell got you too i wish i could help but well i faced the same problem i was so nice with dell got no where so i tohught oh well here it goes and just started yelling and i sorta got somewhere got a brand new comptuer but it makes loud noises and the tech sport hahahahaha they call it award winning that kills me who would give them a award

GeekieNick101 said:
I have no clue whats wrong but It happened to my Dell E310 as well I spent over 1 hours on Tech support, Restored the O/S 3or4 times, they had a tech come out and put in new RAM and a New Hardrve sill did it well really it made me get blue screens even faster. So I tohught enough was enough so I called tech support customer service you name it and demanded my money back and all they could do was take 15% restocking off plus 30% off since it was 4 months old at the time and shipping or I could have a system exchange but it was a refurb and I denclined and it jsut let them have it and well i was yelling at well maybe 3 or so mangers and like 1 or 2 floor supervisors untill they finally tlaked to their seniors at some department and they sent me a brand new comptuer brand new not refurb, now this one is making loud nosies!!!

Im so sorry to here about your problem I dont really have an answer sorry but I had the same BSOD message so maybe clal dell and try to get a new computer, and yes there tech support is hell i have my own slogon for dell remember there one solgon its a dell well mine is ITS A HELL SO ITS HELL lol

Im so sorry dell got you too i wish i could help but well i faced the same problem i was so nice with dell got no where so i tohught oh well here it goes and just started yelling and i sorta got somewhere got a brand new comptuer but it makes loud noises and the tech sport hahahahaha they call it award winning that kills me who would give them a award

Aww :( Well to be honest i wouldn't buy another Dell machine ever after this, i'll just build one myself the next time. From reading and researching it seems like most of the people who have come across this has had the problem with Dell. And since they make their own mobo and it doesn't have a temp sensor on it i'm not even sure if it's a heat issue or not. But since i can play other games and surf on the web with no BSOD then i'm just assuming it's not a heat issue.

You should go to Newegg.com and purchase yourself a new fan or see if you can swap the PSU, I just don't trust dell and their cheap-wares anymore. But I am happy with the 24" wide monitor, but the fps rate is slow on it, but it looks really nice. I wish you luck with your system too.

Yeah Im going to call the local comptuer shop I tihnk its the powersupply and I hear you on the never buy another dell I argree 100% lol but relaly to be honest I ahve one dell laptop which freezes a good bit and has gotten some blue screens but my desktop what a joke its junk. I feel sorry that you had to go through the "great dell experience" And I have a question for you since yours is a XPS and they have "special tech support(so they say)" can you tell if there in India or can you understand them? Its just so hard to know what there saying and sometimes I get some techs that just make me laugh so hard I have to repeat just the service tag like 3 or 4 times what a joke but yes im deff going to build my next comptuer or buy a gateway i have one i had for 4 years i dont think I ever got a Blue screen! Well I wish you luck with your system so sorry you went through all this I did too but I learned from this mistake dont bu a dell, is this your first dell?

Also how old was your system when it started getitng blue screens, mine was oh maybe idk a month or so

GeekieNick101 said:
Yeah Im going to call the local comptuer shop I tihnk its the powersupply and I hear you on the never buy another dell I argree 100% lol but relaly to be honest I ahve one dell laptop which freezes a good bit and has gotten some blue screens but my desktop what a joke its junk. I feel sorry that you had to go through the "great dell experience" And I have a question for you since yours is a XPS and they have "special tech support(so they say)" can you tell if there in India or can you understand them? Its just so hard to know what there saying and sometimes I get some techs that just make me laugh so hard I have to repeat just the service tag like 3 or 4 times what a joke but yes im deff going to build my next comptuer or buy a gateway i have one i had for 4 years i dont think I ever got a Blue screen! Well I wish you luck with your system so sorry you went through all this I did too but I learned from this mistake dont bu a dell, is this your first dell?

This is the 2nd XPS in the home, my father has one and it has only had 1 BSOD but after a reformat it's working fine now, so I didn't think much of it. But no more will I purchase another one!!!

It's all the same customer service even though they say it's a 'special' one. And yes they are still all from India with names like "Joe" or "John", but now i just do the online chat support so that way they send you a copy of the chat straight to your email so you have it on record. But their chat support suck too and you are constantly waiting for a reply, i think i've been on there for about 4 hours 1 time, and I know that they are still reading crap off the computer screen to give support.

GeekieNick101 said:
Also how old was your system when it started getitng blue screens, mine was oh maybe idk a month or so

About 2 months or so. I only use it for gaming purposes.

I built my main comp but it's old now so I can't keep up with the new games, and it's a Small Form Factor type so I can't just swap out the Mobo. I'm still using an AGP slot for that comp.

Yeah, and the wait times they all say can you give me 2 or 3 mintues to research the issue then sometimes they will come back im sorry can I have another 2 or 3 mintues to research the issu, and its like i ahve a choice lol. But when im on hold sometiems i write down everything they say and how long they say they will be back and the accutal time it does take them. Its just so sad i wish i could help belevie me i tried EVERYTHING when mine was acting up now I got a comptuer that doesnt make any BSOD just is so noisey cant even use it because it gives me a headachealso when my system exchange came well dell shipped it FED-EX and it was stuck in Mephis i tihnk it was so then when it finally go to PA they ried to deliver it to the wrong address and the closest FED-EX location is about 45 miles so I had to go there and back so a total of 90 miles and what kills me is they shiped my old system abck UPS oh yeah they want it on time lol. This comptuer was delyed like 3 or 4 days when it was overnight shipping!!!!!!!! It seems like it was treated like a ground package

Aww thanks!

I know, my replacement Mobo was supposed to only be about 2-3 days, i finally called a week later and they tried to ship one overnight but it was shipped to somewhere else so I had to wait over the weekend to get it...1.5 weeks later! But of course when I installed it that day and called them to return the old part, they came that same day to pick it up within an hour of calling them!! Lol!

So did you install it yourself, I know how to install new ram and a hard drive but dell wouldnt let me they ahd a tech come out from a local shop and isntall it

GeekieNick101 said:
So did you install it yourself, I know how to install new ram and a hard drive but dell wouldnt let me they ahd a tech come out from a local shop and isntall it

No I installed it all by myself. The new XPS is really easy to remove the mobo and disconnect the cables and peripherals. No tools needed. They did ask me if I wanted a tech to come out, but I asked if the tech could do on-site tech support for the BSOD in case it came up, and they said that the tech will only replace the parts but not troubleshoot.

Im sorry I cant help you with your BSOD's since I too faced the same problem and didnt get no where untill I got a system exchange but I just wanted to let you know your not laone pretty much everyone with a Dell faces problems and there Tech support just doesnt cut it, I'm not a novice with computers I know a lot and am pretty well expereinced but I tried everything myself on my system to stop the blue screens so I call tech support (wish is terrible)

I hope your comptuer gets fixed and you never get another blue screen again

Regards

Nick

GeekieNick101 said:
Im sorry I cant help you with your BSOD's since I too faced the same problem and didnt get no where untill I got a system exchange but I just wanted to let you know your not laone pretty much everyone with a Dell faces problems and there Tech support just doesnt cut it, I'm not a novice with computers I know a lot and am pretty well expereinced but I tried everything myself on my system to stop the blue screens so I call tech support (wish is terrible)

I hope your comptuer gets fixed and you never get another blue screen again

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I'm pretty stumped here and I don't know where else to go for help. I am considering returning the system if I can. :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

3 minidumps crash at airplus.sys. This is your D-Link AirPlus 22M WLAN Adapter Driver. Try looking for any updated drivers. You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

1 minidump crashes at Npfs.SYS. This is the Windows Npfs driver.

1 minidump crashes at klif.sys This part of your Kaspersky antivirus programme. Again, look for any updates versions/patches etc.

You can Google the above sys files to find more info.

I think your problem is probably caused by your D-Link AirPlus 22M WLAN Adapter Driver.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

3 minidumps crash at airplus.sys. This is your D-Link AirPlus 22M WLAN Adapter Driver. Try looking for any updated drivers. You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

1 minidump crashes at Npfs.SYS. This is the Windows Npfs driver.

1 minidump crashes at klif.sys This part of your Kaspersky antivirus programme. Again, look for any updates versions/patches etc.

You can Google the above sys files to find more info.

I think your problem is probably caused by your D-Link AirPlus 22M WLAN Adapter Driver.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thank you, Thank you Howard!

I have all of the most recent and updated drivers as the system was reformatted on Monday, and i even went to the manufacturer's sites to download the latest drivers.

Dlink - Okay, i was kind of guessing that as a possibility.

I've uninstalled Kaspersky and even loaded AVG and it still gets the message. Does the NPFS file have something to do with the Dlink card?

Well i'm now also getting some other BSOD's that come up once in a while. The Memory / Parity error and the BAD POOL error.

As mentioned above almost every piece of the comp has been replaced except for the HD, soundcard and the PSU itself.

Try using a different WLAN Adapter.

See HERE for info on the Npfs.sys file.

You should also go HERE and follow the instructions.

Check that your psu is putting out enough power for your system. Look at the label on the psu and check to see how many amps it gives on the 12volt rail.

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator.

Random BSOD`s are often a sign of faulty ram/psu/mobo problems.

Check your mobo for any leaking or bulging capacitors. See HERE for more info.

See if any of the above helps.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Try using a different WLAN Adapter.

See HERE for info on the Npfs.sys file.

You should also go HERE and follow the instructions.

Check that your psu is putting out enough power for your system. Look at the label on the psu and check to see how many amps it gives on the 12volt rail.

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator.

Random BSOD`s are often a sign of faulty ram/psu/mobo problems.

Check your mobo for any leaking or bulging capacitors. See HERE for more info.

See if any of the above helps.

Regards Howard :)

Okay i'll check up on those!

Thank you so much for the help Howard :)

Just got off the phone with Dell, and they are sending me a new system. Hopefully I won't have any BSOD issues with it (cross my fingers), but thanks for everyone's help and support. You guys rock!

Hey, Im so gald your getting a new comptuer and make sure its new not reburb. But I posted a reply to tell you some news so today I had a tech that dell sent to replace my motherbaord in my laptop well I told him about my blue screens on my dell desktop and he told me one of the reasons dell comptuers have so many blue screens is because a comptuer programs the computer meaning a robt installs the o/s, drivers, etc, he said thats why older dell computers never had major o/s problems because a person used to install the o/s and drivers,etc instead of a robot. He told me to call dell and say code 7 and to tell them to send me new restore disks and then have the comptuer off my the cd tray out and then turn it on and press any key to boot from cd and delete the partion insteead of the ctrl +f11.

I hope this helps becuase yes my new dell they sent me since my old one is bad well this one is 18 days old and had 2 blue screens already both yeasterday

I really hope this helps becuase this comptuer you get might have the same problem

GeekieNick101 said:
Hey, Im so gald your getting a new comptuer and make sure its new not reburb. But I posted a reply to tell you some news so today I had a tech that dell sent to replace my motherbaord in my laptop well I told him about my blue screens on my dell desktop and he told me one of the reasons dell comptuers have so many blue screens is because a comptuer programs the computer meaning a robt installs the o/s, drivers, etc, he said thats why older dell computers never had major o/s problems because a person used to install the o/s and drivers,etc instead of a robot. He told me to call dell and say code 7 and to tell them to send me new restore disks and then have the comptuer off my the cd tray out and then turn it on and press any key to boot from cd and delete the partion insteead of the ctrl +f11.

I hope this helps becuase yes my new dell they sent me since my old one is bad well this one is 18 days old and had 2 blue screens already both yeasterday

I really hope this helps becuase this comptuer you get might have the same problem

Oh wow, thank you for the tip. I'm still waiting on the new computer that they were supposed to send me. Hopefully I will get it by tomorrow. Anyways, so when I spoke with the tech he said that there's a slight chance that I may get the new xp400 models since the XPS gen 5's are now discontinued, and if I remember correctly he assured me that it wasn't going to be refurb. But when I get the machine i'll be sure to delete the partition first and reformat and reload everything from scratch. Hopefully I won't get any BSOD's on the new one.

Thanks!

:)

So get this, I get my 2nd computer finally last Friday to exchange this one. It's an XPS 600 which is slightly better than my XPS Gen 5 (so I thought), I take it out of the box, boot it up, Dell logo loads and BLANK, blinking cursor....

So I reboot, press F2, "entering setup", and BLANK again...blinking cursor...

So I reboot again, pop in the windows xp disc, press F12, select 'boot from cd' and stop....freezes...

And this was all straight out of distribution the second I received the system.

So doesnt your computer work correctly? I know my Dell laptop has a mind of its own lol. Twice so far it turned itself on all by its self talk aobut creepy. Dell claims its casused by "bad files" I tihnk its the motherboard they already replaced it twice becuase the power was all messsed up then the mouse wouldnt work talk about junk thats pretty much what dells are.

I really hope your replacement comptuer works correctly and is it new or refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back