TechSpot

BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Error

By Adam. T
Aug 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Last night my computer froze on preparing to configure windows updates. I had to resort to a hard rest, since then I have been getting a BSOD.
    I have tested each ram disk by removing one at a time, this doesn't seem to be the problem.
    I have ran a driver verifier and it is coming up with an hidclass.sys error.

A few things I've tried:
    I've system restored to before the BSOD appeared and that worked fine, I then however installed the updates from windows update. Upon restart I now get a BSOD, also now for some reason I can't see the working system restore on the list and am stuck. All other restores cause the BSOD.

I have a feeling it has to do with the updates but I can't open windows update in safe mode so don't know what to do.

I've attached 2 dumps, the general BSOD, and the driver verifier dump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have important uni work that needs to be done :(

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Your boot hard drive is probably corrupt. Go to Computer, right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, Tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up...

3. Adam. T

Adam. T TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that this occurs at the welcome screen to windows and therefore I'm having to use safe mode. When I scheduled a disk check and restarted my computer it blue screened before it got the chance to check. Also now I can't even get into safe mode, its getting stuck at aswRvrt.sys. Not sure what to do now seeing I can't get into safe mode.

4. Adam. T

Just tried booting into windows normally. I got to my desktop but instead of blue screening, it completely froze instead..

5. Adam. T

Ignore the 3rd post, finally got my pc to sort itself out. Check disk in progress at the moment. Will report back after.

6. Adam. T

Ok the check disk finished without any problems, however it still blue screened after it.

7. Tmagic650

8. Adam. T

Yup that's the culprit! Thanks so much for the help, that was stressing me out a treat. Both Avast and AVG have blue screened on me now. Think ill stick to MSE.

9. Tmagic650

Okay, great... Glad we could help you track things down:)