BSOD irql_not_less_or_equal_to

Good afternoon all. I hope you can help me. I'm going to post what I'm getting and remedial steps taken. Then I'll post any logs I have and additional problems I've encountered. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a home built computer Running windows 8.1 Pro.
Processor: Intel Core i7 - 3770K 3.5ghz
Memmory: 16gb
HD: 1x(256 GB) SSD (where windows 8 is installed)
3x(1TB) SATA6 Hard Drives (Where I have other programs and media installed/stored)

Today I have received a BSOD 2 or 3 times in about 3 hours.

The BSOD read: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO"

1. I have run whocrashed and obtained a report. (log to follow)
2. I have attempted to run Memtest86 but for whatever reason, cannot. (description to follow)
3. I have run disk checks on every drive. (no errors reported)
4. I have run "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt. (results to follow)

WHOCRASHED RESULTS

System Information (local)
computer name: WARMONGER
windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: MS-7752, MSI, Z77A-G45 (MS-7752)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17121144832 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1909473280

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Mon 12/30/2013 9:26:26 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\123013-18328-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14DCA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8000000204, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF802826854D7)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 12/30/2013 9:26:26 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0xA2C38)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8000000204, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF802826854D7)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 12/30/2013 8:37:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\123013-23359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFE00202818558, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF802ACD07884)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 12/16/2013 9:24:19 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\121613-30125-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFE00202819BB8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF801388BAA02)

On Wed 12/11/2013 9:07:00 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\121113-12687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x324B7)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0xB500190637, 0xFFFFD0002D2F48C8, 0xFFFFD0002D2F40D0, 0xFFFFF80309B2D942)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion
5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

MEMTEST 86.

I downloaded and saved memtest86. Extracted the ISO to my desktop and opened windows explorer.
When I clicked on my CDR/DVDR drive to open it I got the spinning circle. After approximately 30 seconds with the explorer window showing the drive attempting to be accessed, the window displayed not responding and promptly crashed.
RUN CHECKDISK ON EVERY HARD DRIVE

Did this, encountered no problems or errors.

SFC /SCANNOW

Ran "sfc /scannow" in command prompt as administrator. I received the following report.

"C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verifiction 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Finally
I'm really unsure how to proceed from here. I'm not sure what this corruption in the CBS.log means. I'm not even sure how to view this log file. I don't natively have a program that will open the file to look at what the corruption is.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

~War

EDIT: I've figured out how to open my CBS.log file. This thing is long. If necessary ask me and I'll post it as well.

Last edited:
Back