BSOD (mainly BCCode 116) at playing WAR / general performance and heat problems

PapaDragonov

Hello TechSpot Community!

[[Minidumps are zipped in the first answer to this threat.]]

I am experiencing really strange behaviour of my relatively new Packard Bell EasyNote TS11 Notebook, including a really strangely bad performance and the BSOD mentioned in thread title.

System Specifications are the following:

System: Packard Bell EasyNote TS11
CPU: Intel Core i7-2630QM
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT 540M, 2GB VRAM
RAM: 6GB DDR3

Since I am talking about a Notebook, I do not know the mainboard and PSU specifications.

So, what ist the problem? First of all, the System seems to work much slower than expected. Even in older Games like for example Company of Heroes (which was no problem for my much older HP Pavillion Notebook) I have to turn down graphic options in order to get adequate FPS.
I also recognized, that the system was overheating especially in the hot months of last summer. I believe this caused another performance decrease, but I am not quite sure about that. What I am nearly sure about is, that there have been some overheat-shutdowns. So I bought an external notebook cooler, which stoped the system from overheating that much but didn't solve the performance problem.
Using the external cooler it was at least possible to play games at low graphics, but also with bad performance. For Example, when I played World of Tanks, which I believe not to be that graphic-intensive, from time to time FPS drops from about 50 to 10-15 without any understandable reason and even at lowest graphics.
So I wasn't really satsified, but ignored the problem for a while. But now I experienced a new Problem, which is that I am totally unable to play Warhammer Online, because I get the BSOD mentioned in threat titel, every time after a few minutes. Since I am using the cooler on maximum and experience the problem even when the external temperature of the system could be descriebed as "slightly warm" I do not think it is an temperature problem. But that could be wrong.

So what did I already do? First of all, I have read your "before posting minidumps"-manual, but since the system is a notebook, I was unable to do many of the steps. Since the BSODs mentioned nvlddmkm as the causing driver, I tried new graphic drivers from the newest one to the one brought with the notebook itself. (Please notice, that right now I have installed the old one but I did try the newest one as well as some of them in between.) But nothing helped. I also followed some instructions to deal with the nlvddmkm-problem like uninstalling graphic driver, deleting the nlvddmkm in secure mode and reinstalling new driver after that. But again, nothing helped. The only thing I seem to have achieved is that the BCCode of the last BSOD was another one. (By the way: Please notice, that the BSODs all said that nvlddmkm was the problem, and NOTdxgkrnl like the minidumps say)

So I do not know, what to do further. Can you please help me?

Kind regards,
PapaDragonov

Ah, one additional thing: I also tried the Windiws 7 Memory check and it found no errors.

Okay, read your minidumps but before I proceed I want to say your choice of processor and video card for your system are very good. My son's Sager has the same hardware.

Anyway four of your errors are 0x116 and this one is caused by faulty video card drivers. The video card driver in particular was the Nvidia nvlddmkm.sys. You have already tried to rectify this issue.

* Now see below...

The second error code has me more concerned. It is 0x101:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
The specified processor is not processing interrupts. In other words, this occurs when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked.

*** If this is still under warranty contact them A.S.A.P. and tell them of your issues, what you did to resolve them and especially that your minidump files were read and error codes that were reported.

*** Please keep us updated.

Thanks for your reply.

I already contacted the Packard Bell support center but did not get an answer by now. I'll try further and keep you updatet.

Concerning the 0x101 BSOD:
Is it possible that the CPU(s) were damaged by heat?

I am asking beacuse after my initial post I installed speedfan and it said that, playing World of tanks at lowest graphics using the external cooler, the temperature of the GPU was higher than 90°C an the CPU(s) were hoter than 80°C. I stopped playing immediately because I believe that temperetures to be much to high... aren't they?

Yes, heat can damage components but a system will shut down in order to prevent damage.

Run a security scan.

What is the make of the hard drive?

I got the same problem

I only got 4GB ram and 1GB on the 540M, but everything els in my system seems to be the same.

When I play WOT I can play at medium - high settings at 40-50 fps but then it drops to 8-12 fps. Some times without any clear reason, but often when I'm getting shot at whit HE armo. I have also tried whit low sittings but it doesn't seem to matter.

In Starcraft II the game runs smoothly at medium settings. Unless I play protoss, then shiftqueues get problematic to do because off lag and mass warp in almost freezes the game. In practise its easier and faster to click the hotkey for each unit instead. I then tried to set all at low, but then lightning seems weird.
I have tried to update to the newest drivers(from PB and NVIDIA) more then once whit no result.

But now lest week there came a new betadriver(285.79) for geforce 540m at NVIDIA's website. It seems to help on WOT now the FPS drops isn't so bad, 18 - 22 or so. I haven't tried to play Starcraft yet.

But I must say that the whole system feels slow in general, so I'm thinking of buying a SDD.

I haven't had any unintended shutdowns or weird errors.

Trolle, please do not hijack this thread. Repost your question together with your system specs in a separate, new thread in the appropriate forum. Trying to discuss two different member's questions within the same thread can be cumbersome, annoying and confusing.

@Route44:

Sorry for the long delay. Now the Notebook came back from packard bell support center. They said, that there was "no hardware problem". They cleaned the fan and updated bios. when the notebook came back, I installed a new SSD Drive (Agility 3 120 GB) and Win 7 Professional.

After having some trouble identifying and installing all drivers, the system seemed to be working fine. Performance was very well, heat was acceptable. So far for the good news.

Threee days after system installation (and hours over hours playing skyrim without any errors) the 116 bsod came back. First it was a single one. next day there were some more. at least they came up every few minutes when i was playing skyrim. once again i searched the web for solutions and followed some instructions. i concluded that:

1. it could not be temperature any more.
2. it could not be a corrupted system / driver installation since i reinstalled everything with the newest drivers few days ago.

I do not know why, but although i did not held the nVidia driver responsible i decided to reinstall it once again. i uninstalled it, booted to save mode, deletet the nvlddmkm everywhere i found it (a little scary i know, but that was one of the web instructions for the problem), cleaned everything with drivercleaner and reinstalled the newest driver from the nVidia homepage.

and well, no BSOD since that. i have to say that i have done other changes too, like disabeling PCI-e energy saving option, disabeling TDR and so on. but i think it was the last driver reinstallation, that "fixed" the problem. (in fact i do not know if it is really fixed. since the BSOD was somehow sporadic, i have to wait a few days if the BSOD comes back, before i can really say that the problem is fixed.)

Oh one las thing: I also uninstalled some windows updates, since the BSODs startet (not directly) after windows installed a bunch of them. perhaps that may be the solution too.

I'll keep you updated, if the BSOD comes back....

@Trolle
As I have mentioned above, i recently upgrade the notebook to a SSD and I have to say that the performance increased certainly. but keep in mind that it has been very poor beacause of heat before. So i do not really know wich part of the increase is triggered by the clean fan and which part comes from the SSD.

Well and there we go again. BSOD 116 is back again. I even tried the new beta driver mentioned in trolles post (same installation method as mentioned before) but it happended again. Does anyone have any further ideas?

Since it is a new HDD (in fact it is an SSD) and a new system I upload the new minidumps.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
Trolle, please do not hijack this thread. Repost your question together with your system specs in a separate, new thread in the appropriate forum. Trying to discuss two different member's questions within the same thread can be cumbersome, annoying and confusing.

What question?

Most people who title their post, "I got the same problem," have a problem they want help with and your post sounded like it wasn't solved completely yet. So are you saying you don't have a problem after all? If not, then I apologize for my mistake.

Most people who title their post, "I got the same problem," have a problem they want help with and your post sounded like it wasn't solved completely yet. So are you saying you don't have a problem after all? If not, then I apologize for my mistake.

The betadriver helped allot for me that's why I posted. I'm going to follow the the thread to see if someone find a solution that make it work even better. But I cant see I'm bringing any new problems to the thread.

Five of the very most recent files were read. Four were 0x116 and all four cited the the Nvidia driver nvlddkmkm.dll as the culpprit.

The fifth error code is 0x000000C4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
This is the general bug check code for fatal errors that the Driver Verifier finds. A device driver attempted to corrupt a system. As like the other four this one also cited the same Nvidia driver.

I know they said it isn't hardware but between a fresh install and a new SSD I am highly suspecting that your Nvidia card is faulty.

It's possible that you are right, and if that isn't the problem I think its a conflict between the NVIDIA driver and the BIOS. It seems like allot of the PB BIOS updates are relating to bad GPU performance. So that could probable also make the fault's. I hope they make a better BIOS as soon as possible.

Back