BSOD making me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

markiwi

hi,

I've been having restart issues for some time now but I've been unable to figure out what was wrong. I've tried swaping out ram, endless fiddling with drivers and bios settings, etc.

I restart mostly when I'm doing cpu intensive things- Loading into video games, loading into windows, and playing video games. Very rarely does it restart when I simply idle, chat, or surf the net. It does restart occasionally when doing easy stuff, but only occasionally. When I'm playing games it is VERY spikey, it will restart 10 times in 20 minutes and then be fine for 4 hours.. and then restart 10 more times over the next 30 minutes.

It 'seems' like when I turn down video settings I restart less, which originally made me think it was a video card or memory issue but now leads me to believe it is the lesser stress on the CPU that is important.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? I don't 'think' I'm overclocking, but if someone could tell me how to check I would be glad to. I clean my CPU of dust as best I can, but I can't really see deep into there so there might be some dust I can't see clogged in- I don't know how to release the cpu and am really worried about hurting it somehow.

I have an p4 northwood 3,4 cpu, I don't know the name of the fan but it is very fast a zalman. I'm using windows vista( used xp, same prob) if that matters. If you have any other specific questions I'll check this decently often and try to provide answers.

This sounds more like a memory latency issue. Take your memorys model number and see if you can find the right "Timings" or "Latency" for that memory. Then go into your bios and setup the proper timings. USually you will see timings as follows (these are my timings) 2.5-3-3-6.

Hi i tried handeling the given latency with is 2,3,3,6 for my geill ddr400 pc3200 dual channel.
But it still crashes, the strange thing is when i let my motherboard choose the optimal settings it sets it at auto?,4,4,8
And when i change it back to 2,3,3,6 it does run more stable but it still chrashes.

my system specs are :
motherboard asrock P4i65G
Pentium 4 3,4mhz 800mhz fsb northwood
geill ddr400 pc3200 2 x 512mb dual channel
Seagate 160g 7200rpm
geforce fx 5700ve 256mb

zalman coolers on cpu, gcard and system fan.

I have replaced the memory with new geil modules,
still same problem.

Maybe my system gets overheated ?

Can some one please help me with this problem, thank you somuch.

Hi,

Temps are fine, altough the temp for my hd reaches above 45c, is that normal?

My PC crashes while playing games or doing cpu intensive things.
It stops and say`s something about win32k.sys and then restarts.

Can someone help me with the minidump files?

Threads merged. Please don`t open any more threads for this issue.

One of your minidumps crashes at your antivirus programme. Make sure you have the latest version, or try a different antivirus programme.

Also, take a look at this thread HERE and see if it helps to identify the culprit.

Regards Howard :)

Thank you howard, i will try to learn how to read the minidumps.
Once it did crash while i did a virus scan, that`s probably why one minidump says that.
Most of the time it says something about win32k.sys or nothing at all.

On with the neverending search.
I`m getting realy desperate here guy`s, can some one help me on this?

Mem test = no errors
HDtest = no errors
system temps = not above normal cpu = 40c, hd = 45c, system 30c

what else can i do ?

One of your miniumps has a FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: IP_MISALIGNED This is usually caused by faulty ram. However, it can also be caused by a faulty mobo/cpu/psu.

Basically, I`m saying it looks like you have some kind of hardware problem.

Before you say, you`ve already tested your ram with Memtest, please be aware that some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

You definitely have driver conflicts. However,I would first do Howard's suggestions. He knows tons more than me! Do the Memtest and as he has suggested make sure either a) update your antivirus program or b) get a new one. Your driver conflict did not appear because you did a scan, it appeared because, as Howard points out, there is a conflict. Since you are running Vista there are a number of anti-virus programs that conflict with this OS.

Also, you have a conflict with ati2dvag.dll which is part of your ATI video card. I suggest downloading the latest driver.

Howard thank you for taking a glimse of your time and telling me why my pc stops working.
I can tell you that I just bought new memory because i already had these problems.

I bought a new mobo aswell a asrock p4i65G with fsb800 and dual channel support.
And 2 x 512mb geil ddr400 pc3200dc
nvidia FX 5700VE 256MB`
With my Pentium 4 HyperTreading 3,4 Mhz 800fsb

Could it be my bios settings?
My bios settings are :

mem 2.3.3.6.8
cpu 200mhz
ram 200mhz
ht enabled
thermal trottling enabled

I've tried to use another ati videocard last night but it wasn`t powerfull enough.

My pc works with both ram mods seperately, ram test says no errors.
If faulty rams can pass a test then how can you test them?

Maybe not enough watts ?
Psu = 300W
got 2 hd and 2 dvd 1x r 1 x rw

And route i've removed the ati driver and refreshed with nvidia.

I have nod32 but will try a new one.

An underpowered psu can cause all kinds of symptoms as can incompatible ram.

Try running your system with just one stick of ram and see if it becomes more stable. If it doesn`t, try the other stick of ram and retest.

Unless your psu is a good brand such as Antec/FSP/Enermax etc, it is definitely suspect. Obviously the only way to tell if it`s the psu that`s at fault, is to try another more powerful psu. Something in the region of 450watts and an output of at least 24 amps on the 12volt rail would no doubt be preferable to your 300watt psu.

Again, I must stress, good quality psu`s are important. Cheap no name brands tend to have a high failure rate and often don`t put out anywhere near their advertised wattage/amps etc.

Thank you Howard i will go to the shop and get me one of those power psu's 450w and i will let you know how it goes.

Thanks somuch already...

I let you know when i have bought one.

I disconnected one of my dvd/cd rw, and it seems to run more stable already.
But i will get a new one.

Grtz,

Marco

Howard or route44,

Is this a quality psu ?

Merk Cooler Master
Type Real Power ATX, 450W
Moederbord aansluiting 24-polig 24-pins
Moederbord aansluiting 4-polig 1x ATX 12V
Aansluiting IDE 7x
Aansluiting Floppy 2x
Aansluiting Serial-ATA 2x
Aansluiting PCI express 1x

This is the shop where i will get the psu.

http://www.mycom.nl/Products/636.aspx

Hi howard,

I've ordered the psu as they didn`t have any in stock.
It will be there in a few weeks.
I'll let you know.

But i`ve come across a temp solution, i think.
When i let my ram run on 166 mhz in stead of 200 mhz it doesn`t crash.
When it runs on 200mha the memory seems to run above 90% usage and now on 166 it only uses 65%.
Is that normal?
Is it the dual channel memory that consumes so much power on 200 mhz?

The fact that downclocking your ram stops the crashes, indicates to me a ram problem. I`ve seen plenty of cases where running ram in dual channel mode causes crashes, even though the ram itself appears to be ok. This may be a sign of ram incompatibility. Some mobo`s are very picky when it comes to ram, particularly when run in dual channel mode.

Hi howard,

I changed a setting in my bios for my ram.
The manufacturer told me to try to lower the voltage for my ram.
Now it does run stable but it still crashes.
Maybe you can tell me if the minidump give a different error.

Thanks so much.

Two minidumps have FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_ONE_BYTE

1 has FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: IP_MISALIGNED

I`m sure your problem is caused by a hardware failure, probably ram. However, as I said earlier, it`s possibly a faulty psu/mobo.

The fact that lowering the voltages for your ram has made the system more stable, points to a ram problem.

As i said the dual channel set is fine, at least it come tru the test fine.

Enlightenment is at hand.
The geforce fx card has probably got some faulty ram.
Can it be caused by improper cooling? i think that must have been the case.
Anyway i installed another geforce card the fx 5200 from a mate.
And it hasn`t crashed all day.

Finally, i`m gonna get a new card geforce 7 7600 gs 512mb.

I will let you know if i run in anymore problems but for now i wanna thank everyone that has spend their time in this mindboggeling problem and help me out learning more and more about computers.

Kiwiaroa. :):cool:

Sorry guys false alarm.

See minidump of this morning with new videocard in there, 2 files one of yesterday before i stuck in videocard.

What could it be?
I've replaced ram,mobo, videocard and put in 350w psu (could it still be not enough power?), could it be the cpu? how can i test that.
Or is it just the game, zootycoon 2 that doesn`t run on vista?

Howard could it be the psu supply, cause when i lower the volts for my ram it takes longer to crash, does that have anything to do with unsufficient power?

Sorry for the false alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back