BSOD + many other problems :(

By elementofice
May 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So right now my computer lasts a total of about 2 mins in normal mode before going into a blue screen which says this:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

If this is 1st stop you seen this stop error screen, restart. If it appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure u have adequate disk space (i do). If a driver is identified in the stop message (there was no driver identified), disable or check with manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. IF you need to use safe mode to remove or diable components, restart your comp, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and select safe mode.

Technical info:

*** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x82BAE31F, 0xEEED098C, 0x00000000

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance."

IT's not caused my viruses or spyware since I already went through that post for virus/spyware removal plus got confirmation from someone here that my logs were clean.

I've already opened up my computer and cleaned out most of the dust, etc, so I don't think thats the problem. What should I do :(?
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,117   +23

Post your minidumps: C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidumps. Attach these minidumps (not the Minidump folder) to your next response.
  3. elementofice

elementofice Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 49

k here they are
  4. elementofice

last two minidumps
  5. Route44

I read your first 5 minidumps and they all point to the same thing: Memory Corruption, specifically MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE. Corrupted memory will cause all kinds of headaches.

What you should do first is run MemTest86+ to test your memory. Google MemTest and you'll find what you need. You can run it eitther from a floppy or a CD. Do each stick individually, i.e., remove one stick as you are testing the other one. You should do a minimum of ten passes. This will take considerable time but is well worth it.

If your memory passes then we will go another direction.
  6. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Let's say you can start in Safe Mode and nothing bad happens after 30 minutes doing something.

This means that it is highly likely a driver is involved OR the hardware that the driver would drive if the driver were loaded.

(sounds like the Woodchuck tongue twister)

Anyway, DOES IT start and run ok in Safe Mode?
  7. elementofice

yes safe mode is fine, in normal mode it lasts a whole 2 mins before going into BSod. Im dling the Memtest thing right now and im gonna try it, be back with a response soon.
  8. CCT

Safe Mode, afaik, doesn't use your graphics card drivers.

In Safe Mode, uninstall them and then try a Normal Boot.

If that doesn't work, do the same for Audio drivers.
  9. elementofice

o i finally get it o.O if i uninstall my graphics and audio drivers, then can i reinstall em later? and where?
  10. CCT

LOL - afaik = as far as i know; I am suggesting that you uninstall your video drivers in safe mode and then reboot into normal mode.

If the problem is with them then that should fix it.

If not, then you can remove the vid card (assuming it is an add-on) and try.

Then uninstall the audio drivers.

Then the audio card.

This is a process of elimination to find WHY your comp won't boot into normal full driver and hardware mode.

Clear now?
  11. elementofice

yea i figured it out after a few mins, after i googled afaik LOL, but anyway if i uninstall these drivers then can i reinstall them later and where?

12. CCT

That is easier than you may think - do you have the Install support cd for your comp?

Even if you don't, all you need is the identification of the manufacturer and model of your comp - you can get that useing Safe Mode with networking if you don't have the info handy.

Let us know,

:)
  13. elementofice

dont have the support cd, i could try looking for it but doubt id be able to find it. i just went into add/remove programs and saw that my graphics driver is Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Driver so i googled it and found some stuff. I cant find my audio driver in add/remove programs though =\. Any other way to locate it?

After my memtest reaches 1000% coverage im gonng uninstall my graphics driver and see if it works
  14. CCT

15. elementofice

k 1000% coverage for memtest and no errors. Im gonna uninstall my graphics driver now and i just found my Dell Cd which lets u install device drivers, etc. Ill be back soon with a response
  16. elementofice

i uninstalled the graphics driver and its still the same.. BSOD 2 mins into normal mode, and ive located my audio driver but it doesnt appear in add/remove programs, how do i remove it?

Also after i uninstalled my graphics driver it automatically reinstalled it on reboot
  17. CCT

If you have the Dell Install cd, try a repair Install - can't hurt.
  18. elementofice

There was no repair Install option. Just extract the driver contents to your hard drive and install them. I reinstalled my audio and video drivers, but the video driver had an error and it seemed to uninstall it. Either way I restarted in normal mode and the same thing happened, Bsod in 2 mins.
  19. Route44

MemTest first. I suggest starting it before you go to bed , let it run overnight, and in the morning check it. Corrupted memory will wreck havoc.
  20. elementofice

Is that the only option =\? I only have about 4 hours before I have to go and wont be on the comp for a few days.
  21. Route44

Thr more passes the better which means time well spent. Are you saying you won't get back to your computer before two days?
  22. elementofice

yes, during weekdays ill be away for school so the earliest is this coming friday
  23. Route44

Welll then let's put your remaining four hours to use. If Memtest is ready to be used reboot your computer and place the Memtest in your floppy before it loads to the XP screen. You will be automatically directed to a screen by memtest itself. Let it pass as much as possible and see if any errors show up.
  24. elementofice

How do I "place the memtest in my floppy"? It's just a program that I dl'ed and it runs from the .exe file.
  25. Route44

You need to either burn this program to a CD or transfer it to a Floppy.

1. Reboot your computer.

2. Place floppy with Memtest into your floppy drive at the initial reboot.

3. Memtest will take over and run on its own.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.