BSOD on shutdown and sometimes startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop (a Thinkpad T30 model 2366-97U running XP Pro) has been getting progressively less and less stable over the past few weeks, and today it seems to have snapped. Since about a month ago I've had eight blue screen crashes -- never while I was using the machine, but e.g. I would wake up in the morning and find that it has restarted after a crash. Today, a significant turn for the worse: the computer blue-screens every time I shut it down, always at the point when XP says it's saving my settings. It also blue-screens on startup if I'm "too eager" -- if I wait for 30 seconds after the login page appears before I log in, I'm fine, but if I log in immediately then it crashes soon afterwards.

The error today is always PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and when I'm starting up the error info is

0x00000050, 0xFFFFFFEC, 0x00000000, 0x8054A832, 0x00000000

while the shutdown error is

0x00000050, 0xFFFFFFF6, 0x00000000, 0x8054A832, 0x00000000.

My hardware is exclusively the original hardware, save for the motherboard which was replaced (by the manufacturer, under warranty) a year ago after one of the RAM slots stopped working -- I gather that this is a notorious problem with the T30. I restored my hard drive to the original configuration and reinstalled all software in December (I do this once every 12-18 months as a matter of routine).

CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium 4-M 2GHz
Motherboard: IBM
RAM: 512MB (2 256MB sticks), 133MHz

The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500. The driver version is 6.14.10.6546, dated 5/25/2005. I tried to update the drivers using Catalyst and ran into the "INF Error. Video driver not found" / "Try to set up a standard VGA driver before running steup" issue. I removed the ATI drivers with Driver Cleaner and booted in both VGA mode and Safe Mode to try to install the drivers -- blue screens continued while there were no ATI drivers installed -- no dice. Reinstalled the current drivers by letting Windows search for them.

I've run Motherboard Meter (mobmeter.exe) -- I'm not overheating.
I have defragmented.
I ran CHKDSK -- no problems.
I've run a bunch of memory tests (including memtest86 -- from the UBCD basic package) -- passed with flying colors.

I can't do a System Restore -- the machine bluescreens while shutting down and the restore fails.

I'm attaching two batches of minidump files. The first batch provides samples of what's been going wrong today (the first two crashes from this morning, and the two most recent ones). The other batch is a sampling of the crashes that have been taking occurring intermittently for the past month (March 3 is the first of the crashes).

I would be very grateful for any advice or suggestions. Thanks,

David

Dear all,

To follow up: the problems described above continue unabated. Any advice would be appreciated -- I think I've reached the end of what I am able to do without the help of someone who can interpret minidump files. I've attached two more minidumps: one from a crash overnight while I was asleep, another which occurred instants after I logged in this morning.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back