BSOD on Steam games.

By Adidas0494
Oct 27, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I build a computer for a friend and he has had many problems with it. The most recent is being unable to play Steam games. That is the only game he has so I have other to test on but, as soon as you try and load a "source" game it will say "Engine Error" and then go to message saying "unable to reference memory at 0x102a3e2c at 0x0e2da1a0" and if I play a non-source game like CS or DoD it will play just fine for a while then BAM! BSOD. I have my memory dumps attached. If anyone could help me figure out what is wrong I would be very greatful. I have updates DX9.0c, my ATI driver, my sound driver, and java (someone said that fixed their problem) I don't know what else to do. Please help Thank You! in advance.

The System is a:

AMD 2500XP+
    ASUS A7V880
    1GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
    Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit card.
  2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

It looks RAM related. Bugcheck 1A is almost always a RAM problem. Is that one or two sticks of RAM? Run Memtest.

BugCheck 1A, {41284, 13da0001, c030020, c0503000}
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiLocateWsle+c0 )
  3. Adidas0494

Adidas0494 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Its 2 sticks 512MB each...I did run a memtest but I only let it go for 1 pass. I read later that you should go to 7 passes. The test took about 45-55 minutes to do I don't know if that is normal either.
  4. Adidas0494

I don't want to sound rude, but I still do not really have an answer. Should I switch the RAM to the other slots? or what?
  5. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,623

take 1 stick out and check the other run it for 7, if it passes then test the sticks. I assume u are assume u are using Memtest86 it is not a perfect test but if it says the mem is bad then I would believe it. and replace the stick that is told to be bad. also yes it is not a bad idea to check the slots.
  6. Adidas0494

Well I did another Memtest and it passed 11 times and had 0 errors. I just left everything default it ran for 21 hours and had the ECC testing off (whatever that is) any ideas now?

P.S. If I just reinstall windows will that possibly fix the problem?
  7. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

control panel / add remove programs/ uninstall your ati drivers CCC or whatever else you got from ATI

Go to this link and install the catalyst 7.7 driver and CCC if you want it

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/x...-cat77-xp.html

Should fix it. I think your card plugs in through AGP slot and the newer drivers dont have 100% support for AGP and what happens is directx cant send information over the new drivers to your graphics hardware
  8. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

Try running with just one stick of RAM at a time. If it still crashes then try one stick at a time in another slot. As nickc has pointed out, Memtest isn't perfect.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.