Hi there

I'm having BSOD troubles with a vista pc, it's pretty new, specs below:
AMD Phenom II X4 955
NVIDIA nForce 740a SLI
Crucial Technology 2GB RAM x2
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Vista 64bit Home Premium

I've run memtest and got 7 passes.

the odd thing is, if you remove one of the ram modules and run it with just one, I get this behaviour:

RAM module 1 - works in DIMM a1 a2 b1 b2
RAM module 2 - works in DIMM a2 b2 - if I put it in a1 or b1 the machine doesn't POST
also if I put module 1 in a1 and module 2 in b1 the machine doesn't POST either.

I've attached some dump files

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    184.6 KB · Views: 1
Of the five minidumps read 4 simply cited the cause of your crashes as Windows OS drivers but OS drivers are usually too general to be of much help.

The error that is definitive is 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors.

0xA errors are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level than they should.

In this error memory corruption was specifically cited. Shut down your system with the RAM stick that is causing issues. Reboot and run Memtest on that one stick. As good as Memtest is bad RAM has been known to pass on the rare occasion.

Thank you for your help.

Tried memtest with the ram separately in different sockets and it passed every time. In the end gave up and reinstalled the OS and not had an issue in 2 days, seems to have solved the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back