BSOD... Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Asus P5NSLI - NVidia nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition motherboard and it used to run:
Pentium D 915 2.80GHZ/4MB Cache/800Mhz FSB/Dual-Core/Preseler/OEM/Socket 775 dual core processor.

Recently I have installed Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - Conroe - 2.40Ghz, 1066FSB, L2,4MB cache and right after I have installed system booted up fine (normal POST) and then attempted to load windows and BSOD and reboot.
At the time I was running BIOS rev. 0601 (first-release)
I have gone to ASUS website and was told that the ver of BIOS is good and it is not required to upgrade but computer still was doing BSOD upon bootup.
I have decided to upgrade to latest rev. of BIOS which is now ver. 1401 and the BIOS upgrade went smooth but after computer restart would not boot windows at all.
Re-installed windows, did updates and re-installed drivers for all connected devices and system is up and running again but still the BSOD persists and sometimes it will take 3 reboots for computer to come up properly to desktop and load all of the icons in the system tray. I have no clue of what is wrong.

Can somebody pls examine the dump file and let me know where the issue is?
Hardware or Software? I am attaching 2 DMP files that I was able to locate in C:\windows\minidump.
Thank You very much in advance for all the help.
Happy New Year 2008!

BSOD....pls help....thanks

Thanks for your reply
I have followed "Blind Dragon" advise and booted the computer from MemTest86 Boot Disk and did memory scan and did find one memory chip to be defective.
Since then I have removed the faulty memory and rebooted but computer still did sudden BSOD but even more often than before.
I have also followed "peterdiva" advise and removed and re-installed both memory sticks and attempted to boot up and still computer does BSOD.
I have attempted to boot to safe mode and same problem...BSOD.
It is just to quick for me to see of what it says but system generated more
DMP files.
Can I ask somebody please to examine the DMP files and let me know where the issue lies? or let me know of what program do I use to open these so I try to examine them bymyself.
Thanks again for your help.

Use windbg

If you have never debugged what you want to do is open the program and set it up first. create a folder on your desktop and name it 'mini'

Select File-> Symbol File Path. Then enter the following string:

SRV*c:\desktop\mini*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

The location of the symbol table is up to you. but this is how I do it so I can easily delete files after analyzing.

To open the dump file that you want to analyze, select File->Open Crash Dump.

After it loads symbols from the microsoft site (setup already in step 1), click on !analyze –v

This will bring up a bunch of information. And it will usually give you a link to click to get more details about the file or driver causing the crash.

Basically these show what was in memory when your system crashed. You can search microsoft for the crash codes.

Sometimes an easier way is to use the event veiwer through control panel administrative tools. Get event ID's for error and look those up on EventID.net

if you suspect bad ram, download and run memtest 86+ from a floppy or cd. Any errors are bad. Let it run for at least 7 passes.

Memory error can be L2 cache memory of the CPU, memory of the video card or cache memory of the motherboard.

>>>
Recently I have installed Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - Conroe - 2.40Ghz, 1066FSB, L2,4MB cache
<<<

As your windows is also crashed at safemode, it is hardware error. Make sure that you don't overclock the CPU and RAM. Make sure that the CPU is compatible with m/b. Check the setting of CPU. Make sure that the CPU is not overheated.

>>>
Since then I have removed the faulty memory
>>>

Do you mean you identify which memory module is bad?

Thanks for all replies and advise.

Yes...I have identified which memory module is bad but here is a strange thing
that I have came across.

I have removed the new CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - Conroe - 2.40Ghz, 1066FSB, L2,4MB cache) and replaced with the old one (Pentium D 915 2.80GHZ/4MB Cache/800Mhz FSB/Dual-Core/Preseler/OEM/Socket 775 dual core processor.) System booted up fine and no BSOD at all...clean.
I have also put back the "defective" memory module back into the 3rd bank
and booted up with memtest 86+ and all 3GB of memory is now good but that was the same memory stick that was identified as "defective" when the new CPU was installed. Strange isn't it?

Tedster said:
if you suspect bad ram, download and run memtest 86+ from a floppy or cd. Any errors are bad. Let it run for at least 7 passes.

I question your tip Tedster. If you would have read the whole thread you would have realized that he said he already ran memtest.

Probably the cache memory of new CPU is faulty. I am not a hardware guy. When PC executes instruction from CPU, it is required to exchange data becuase CPU cache memory and the RAM.

This might help, but definitely won't hurt -> I would try it before ruling the cpu defective.

Did you update the BIOS and chipset drivers when you installed the new CPU?

I looked up your board and there have been some releases to BIOS for your motherboard each one says 'Support new CPUs'

The chipset drivers haven't had an updated release since 9/4/06 so you are probably ok there.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Thanks for all replies again...appreciated

At this point system is stable, no more BSOD's with the old CPU (Pentium D)
Motherboard BISO is up to date and running the latest version 1401 which supports the new CPU.
Does anybody know of a utility/program to test CPU internal cache?
I want to put back the new CPU back in and test it's internal memory to see if in fact it is defective and RAM, all 3 Gigs are good - no errors as per memtest 86+
Thanks
Cancer69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back