TechSpot

BSOD problems even after complete reinstall

By RusselAD
Mar 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. (I was running 8.1 before the reinstall) So randomly about a week ago my computer started to get BSOD out of nowhere. Before I decided to install a new OS my computer would lock up. No BSOD, but everything, including the cursor, was frozen. No ctrl alt del could fix it, it was stuck and required a hard reset. At first I thought registry errors so I used ccleaner, which didn't help. So that's why I decided to install the new OS to see if that would fix my problems.

I already tried to run memtest86+. But, I ran into an interesting problem. Basically on startup I press ESC to enter the boot menu and the computer freezes. So I decided to test the other startup options and that didn't work either. I am lost at this point. I've pretty much figured it's something hardware, but I just can't figure out what it is.

Attached Files:

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

What is your hard drive's model? SSD?

3. RusselAD

RusselAD TS Rookie Topic Starter

To be honest I have no idea what the model is. Its the default hard drive that came with the computer when I bought it

EDIT: Just looked up my computer model. Here's the hard drive
    750GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

4. Tmagic650

How old is the computer? The minidump is hinting that there might be a hard drive issue. Because you re-installed Windows and the problem continues, it is almost always a hardware issue or errant bios settting

5. RusselAD

If I remember right I bought the computer in 2012. Maybe late 2011.

6. Tmagic650

Laptop or desktop?

7. RusselAD

Desktop.

8. Tmagic650

The hard drive is probably failing

9. RusselAD

Thank you for the help. I guess I'll just wait until Its broken completely. Don't quite have the money to replace it right now

10. Tmagic650

If you can boot into Windows go to Computer, right click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up

11. RusselAD

There was no disk check on next start up option. But I ran the check and it said there was no problems found

12. Tmagic650

Was there another version of Windows on this originally, or did it always have Windows 8?

13. RusselAD

Windows 7 at first. Then I updated to windows 8 then 8.1

14. Tmagic650

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

15. RusselAD

Sorry the late response. And to answer your question. No there isn't

16. Tmagic650

What is this desktops make and model?

17. RusselAD

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.