BSOD Problems - Im getting several different errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I started getting BSOD errors pretty much overnight. I hadn't had a single one for over a year, and now I get them every few hours. From what I remember there had been no major system changes prior to this happening. I would appriciate it if you guys could take a look @ my mini dumps as you seem to know what the crack is!

Im running XP SP2

Thanks

cpc2004 said:
Hi,

Your problem maybe related to daemon tools. Refer this problem

Thanks for the info, I have now formatted my computer done as mentioned in the post above but im still getting these BSOD's.

I've managed to narrow it down, and worked out that 49 times out of 50 it happens only when microsoft outlook 2007 is open.

I've attached the 5 latest minidumps, if anyones got a minute or 2 spare i'd appriciate it if you could take a quick look @ them. It seems to be a file called fastfat.sys which is causing the probs, but im not sure what effect its going to have if I delete this?

thanks for any advice.

Two of your minidumps point to Fastfat.sys:

The process Fast FAT File System Driver belongs to Microsoft Windows Operating System.

Description: Fastfat.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 143360 bytes (86% of all occurrence), 145152 bytes, 144768 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The file is a Windows system file. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. File Fastfat.sys is a Microsoft signed file. Fastfat.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 1% dangerous.

Another Minidump zeros in on naiavf5x.sys which is a driver for McAfee. There are a number of posts in the McAfee Forums from people that are getting BSOD's because of this driver.

Do you have McAfee? If so disable it and see if you are still getting crashes.

You might want to do a Memtest for your RAM to see if it is faulty.

Ok thanks, I'll look into it. What recommendations do you guys have as a replacement for the Mcafee security suite (viruscan+firewall)?

cheers

Just to be sure it is mcAfee I would disable first and then attempt to initialize Outlook. I would do this several times to be sure and if you receive no BSOD's then we're pretty sure that is it.

There are plenty of good anti-virus programs out there. Kaspersky and NOD32 are #1 and #1A. Great detection rates. NOD32 takes quite a lot of initial configuration. You download both from the internet. They cost $ but are well worth it. They update consistently. AVG is a free anti-virus program and many people like it.

For security suites Kaspersky with good firewall.

As for a firewall, well that is the eternal question. A good software firewall is the endless quest. It doesn't mean they don't exist, just that the qualities fluctuate and what may do well on one PC may not on another machine.

Here are 2 good that are free: Zone Alarm Free and Comodo. Many people like both and both have their own forums.

The other is probably Sunbelt's Kerio Personal Firewall in both free and $ forms. I have the $ forms and it has caused me a ton of BSOD's in four different versions. It is a shame, too, because otherwise it is easy to set-up and protects well. But you may have no problem whatsoever. I know people that have run every version and haven't gotten one - not one - BSOD.

Here is what I run: Router (I sure hope you have one), NOD32, Webroot's Spysweeper (their shields have protected my tush more times than I can count), and Kerio Firewall. Absolutely zilch infections.

One other thing, and I refer to cpc2004's recommendation. Keep your eye on daemon tools because a number of people have had crashes because of a certain driver or drivers related to this software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back