BSOD -- round two

Pauljr

Hi
im suffering from the bsod for a second time on my home build. the first time killed my harddrive and now ive stopped it for a bit.

im running win 7 64bit with an asus p7p55 LX mobo and its capable of 16gb of ram. I have 2 sticks of kingston 2 gb ram but I seem to get bsod when I have 2 in. I ran a test ( very simple) to see if I could get it to blue screen but couldnt by leaving it on over night. it usually take only a couple hours.

ive also run occt on the computer to check it stress test style and only find problems with my memory when 2 are in. take one out stress test goes fin 2 doesnt even last 3 min with out an error accoring.

im not sure if this is a symptom or not but when I try and play video I often have no sound and either need to restart or open playback settings and just mouse over to make it work. ive check all drivers for updates. id give you a photo of a bsod but I havent been able to figure out how to post it yet..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

heres those files from my recent dumps...finally found out how ;)

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    127.1 KB · Views: 4
nope

i dont use norton i think its a joke im running avg malwarebytes adaware my schools antivirus. im not a big fan of paying for something like norton i used to have it and it never found a virus threat and ive had countless computers die from viruses.

Well, that's good to know :) What is your schools antivirus program? The reason I ask, is because the minidumps may be showing sings of a virus or malware infection

Microsoft forefront endpoint protection 2010

and this would be the second HD ive had go through this only difference was i had less protection the nand different anti virus.

So have you scanned for malware? No antivirus program is 100% effective, and to be honest, I have never seen minidumps calling vwififlt.sys and nwifilt.sys before. Google searches show up nothing for these either. When minidumps show this kind of thing we always suspect protection program failures and malware infections...

"and this would be the second HD ive had go through"...

Why do you mention this about your hard drive? Have you done fresh Windows installs before?

well i built my computer and last year i had been getting bsod on my installed HD then one day i couldnt even access it anymore and when i brought it to two different service people to see what they could do i was told "its fried completely". It ended up freezing their computers up when they tried accessing the data.

i sent it back to WD to get a replacement and thats this HD. i reinstalled my win 7 on it and it was working fine for most of the year but recently (as you saw in the dumps) its been going down more and more. the only solution ive found was removing one of my ram sticks.

i also ended up downloading a program called occt to "stress test" and with two sticks i got an error and it stopped the test no more then 3 min into it. i shut down the computer took one ram out (it was under the mem test setting) ran the test again and went 30 min without an error. since then ive been running one ram and have had now problems.

my ASUS MOBO is supposed to handle 16gb ram. while i had only a total of 4gb in. same amount i had last time with the other HD.

but to answer your question yes i installed my OS on the computer both times.

i found something in google saying it was my wifi card...makes since after looking at the name...and it said to update it. i just finished updating the wifi card.

Have you run Windows Update till it said "no more updates found"? Even if it said this always check 1 more time... What model WD drives, blue, green or black? I prefer Seagate

Have you run Windows Update till it said "no more updates found"? Even if it said this always check 1 more time... What model WD drives, blue, green or black? I prefer Seagate

WD is a black and my seagate is ST360015A i dont know much about it. i run update every other day i think its set on.

That Seagate is only 60GB, and pretty for today's standards. It bet it is old too. How big is the WD? Go into all programs, Windows Update, run it, and make sure all the updates are applied

im running update right now its at 11% because of the language updates which i usually dont install. the WD is a 1TB SATA.

EDIT: i also don't use the seagate at the moment its going to be a side project later.

should i try and put the stick back into my computer and run the occt again and see if the updates fix or is there something else i should be trying to correct?

Edit: i put the stick back in my computer ran occt and this time made it for 10min. i think what ever the updates did made it better but not completely cured. i also updated my wifi card to see if that fixed some of the problem and it seems to have a bit considering that .sys file was in my mini bump as was pointed out. i havent been able to figure how to update for the other file yet.

Your wifi drivers are suspect vwifilt.sys and nwifilt.sys are flagged in the minidumps.... These drivers may be part of the Asus motherboard drivers, or an add-on wifi card or device

Heres a recent minidump after I tried updating my drivers and ran a windows update...

edit: I also put my other ram in

Attachments

• 012112-26722-01.zip
    24 KB · Views: 2
Back