Not open for further replies.

mad_havan

hey all,
MY SYSTEM CONFIG
Intel(R)Desktop Board D865GBF
WINDOWS XP SP2
Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 3.00GHZ
1 GB DDR RAM
i have posted my query before and got replies to it....it was about a month back,i couldn't find the post hence iam posting a new thread here.please excuse...
i had problems wherein my system would come up with a BSOD very often or get restarted randomly...i was asked to run the memtest which would get hung up...So i was doubtful of my RAM..But finally as howard had asked me to,i checked the MOBO for bulged/leaking capacitors and he was right..So i got my MOBO replaced(had warranty)..Now,i ran the MEMTEST and it was running perfectly...Checked it overnight...
0-ERRORS
26- PASSES
Since the MOBO was new i formatted the system and installed the OS fresh...the system has restarted thrice randomly after that..Am attaching the minidump files here...
The error code is
Event ID: 1003, Category: 102, Source: system error

P.S: the hard disk,motherboard and RAM are all new..

Should i try updating the BIOS? will there be any problems if i do that...Can i take a backup of the existing BIOS SETUP?how can i do that?
thankyou...Hope to get support this time also...

Hello mad_havan. I`m sorry to hear you`re still having problems.

One minidump crashes at aswMon2.SYS, with a bugcheck of 0A. This is your Avast antivirus. 0A errors are usually caused by a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

One minidump crashes with memory corruption, and also has a bugcheck of 0A.
Possible faulty ram.

One minidump crashes at win32k.sys, and has a bugcheck of 8E. A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Start by upgrading your bios, and see if that solves the problem.

Regards Howard :)

bios upgrade of no use

I've posted the same thread in the hardware forum also.didn't realise.sorry about that.
hey,
I've done the BIOS UPGRADE,but to no avail...Nothing seems to have changed...Still the system restarts randomly..I've also been getting a screen with the following message at the system boot.Not that i got this after the BIOS upgrade.i got this once even before that.

-------------
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz

DDR320-------Operating in dual-channel dynamic paging mode.

1008MB system RAM

Legacy Keyboard -------- Detected
Legacy Mouse -------- Detected
USB Legacy -------- Enabled

Fixed Disk 0: PM-ST380013AS
ATAPI CD-ROM : 4M-LITE-ON LTR-52327S
ATAPI CD-ROM : 4S-YAMAHA CRW2100E

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad
CMOS Date/Time Not Set

Press <F4> to Run SETUP

----------------

After i got this screen,when i restarted,the date had automatically got changed.
Further, is there any way wherein we can check the status of the PSU?
Iam also attaching herewith, the latest few minidump files.
Please help...All suggestions are valuable..

One of your minidumps crashes with a bugcheck of 7F. These are nearly always hardware issues.

Another one crashes with memory corruption. faulty ram?

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

Check that you ram is compatible with your mobo. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

It could also be caused by a corrupt page file(virtual ram).

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the advanced tab.

Under performance, click settings. Click on the advanced tab, and then on the change button.

Click on the custom size button, and click in the initial size box and make the size of the page file 0. Click in the maximum size box, and make the size of the page file 0.

Click set.

Now reboot your machine. After your system has restarted run a defrag.

Once the defrag has finished, go back to the pagefile settings above, and click on the change button. For the initial, and maximum pagefile size make it 1.5 times the ammount of ram your have. I.E if you have 512mb of ram set the page file to 768mb.

Click on the set button again, and reboot your system. You now have a brand new page file.

I don`t know why the date should be screwed up. I suppose it`s possible that your mobo`s cmos battery is faulty. Replace with a new battery, and see if that helps. obviously you will need to setup your bios again after that.

I checked the BIOS setting and saw something like this

Processor Fan Speed 0 RPM
REAR Fan Speed 4878 RPM
Front Fan Speed 0 RPM

Is this ok? Wat does this mean?

I will do all that you've asked me to and let you know the result.

Sounds like you may have connected your cpu fan to the wrong connector on the mobo. Check, and make sure it is connected to the correct socket, your mobo manual will show you where it`s supposed to go.

ok,i will definitely check that...and wrt to the following
"Once the defrag has finished, go back to the pagefile settings above, and click on the change button. For the initial, and maximum pagefile size make it 1.5 times the amount of ram your have. I.E if you have 512mb of ram set the page file to 768mb."
in my case i have 1GB ram(4 256MB sticks),so do i make the initial pagefile size 1536
and the max pagefile size 2304? will this be right?

You should be ok with just 768mb as your pagefile size.

The more ram you have the smaller the pagefile needs to be to a certain extent.

Howard,
thanks a lot for the great support that you are giving me...i now have a new page file but the problem continues..so we rule out the possibilty of an error caused by the virtual RAM..
I have a question.As always, my questions might be very basic...Am just in the process of learning about hardware....Please bear with me...Now,the Fan isn't running, which would cause overheating of the processor area...Could that also be a reason for restarts?
The RAM,i would wanna test all the four sticks seperately...i have four slots in my mobo...Can i remove 3 sticks randomly keeping one of them in any slot,at random, or is there any particular combination that needs to be followed? Please,if you can teach me,it would be of great help...i really would want to rule out the RAM possibility 'coz it is chewing my brains up..
Is there any means to find out if the PSU is dying?
And any tips on how to read the minidump files?
thanks a ton,
mad_havan

If your cpu fan isn`t running, your cpu will get very hot, and cause all sorts of wierd stuff to happen. Fix this ASAP, to prevent damage to the cpu.

As for the ram configs. Check in your mobo manual. Also check with your mobo manufacturers website for compatible ram modules.

You could test your psu with a voltmetre if you know what you`re doing. Alternatively take it to a pc shop and have them test it for you.

If you would like to be able to read minidumps. Take a look at this short tutorial HERE

was out of town for a while...

hi,
all the three fans in the cpu are running...the cpu fan is connected to the rear fan slot on the mobo..i removed it and connected it to the cpu fan slot..when i started the system,intel active monitor immediately gave me an error saying the fan is not running and cpu may overheat..the other two fan slots are also empty..the chords from the other two fans have been connected through some connectors and are not directly on the slot..But all three fans are running in the current state.any clues?
until i learn to read the minidump files i am going to trouble you..please bear with me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back